Image Map Displacment

Started by Nezbitten, January 04, 2022, 07:49:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nezbitten

I have used simple black and white SGI files of footprints to displace the land before. However, in my latest image, I must be doing something wrong. I have some deer hoof prints I'm trying to plant in the "snow" (just land with tiny rocks coloured white) but when I import my image map the edges of the map get displaced too. So far example the feet are white on a black background in the image map. I plug in the map and displace and the hoof prints displace but so does the edge of the map. Ie. the straight edges. What can I be doing wrong.? any clues, it might be something simple and I'm dumb, I've had two instances of TG running with my old image that worked with displaced footprints and the new image and all the settings seem the same. please help, thanks

It wont let me upload an sgi file so here is the jpg

Hannes

Can you post your image map, so that we can take a look?

Nezbitten

sure done as a jpg cant upload the sgi

cyphyr

Try feeding the displacement map through a surface layer and use a simple shape shader in the just slightly smaller than the image to mask out the edges (in the mask by shader input).
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Nezbitten

I don't see why I have to do this, and whenever I come across something I'm not familiar with such as this, not entirely sure how. My previous image was "sand" so same effective setup, tiny rocks for grains and then image maps to displace various parts to look like dunes and foot prints in the sand, many maps of which were small and individually placed and interacted seamlessly with the other maps. both are relative closeups and I used 12 maps in my sand image and did not have to deploy these extra steps or workaround. What could be going wrong ? I have one "painted" shader which is displacing the ground ok into "snow bumps" so I'm just trying to add the finishing touches such as deer prints, it is driving me crazy. I do appreciate your speedy replies that was great :) Ive added a screen grab showing the image map settings

Dune

No need, it works just fine. Check this file out.

Nezbitten

yes that's exactly what should be happening :) , but i don't understand where I've gone wrong

Dune

The only (well, only) way to find out is to post your tgd.

Nezbitten

Thank you that has helped! I see I have a way to come using "transform" for the shader position and your "snow" is way different to mine in layout and design. But thank you !

Dune

The transform shader is a very useful shader! I use it all the time. And snow can be made in several ways, this one was just a very quick simple setup.

Nezbitten

Dune that was some great advice, after placing the footprints they didn't seem to show up very well, probably my lighting and fog, what can you suggest to get this scene looking more realistic. I've been messing with a fake stone shader on top of my plants to add frost but again because of my lighting they still come out quite dark and not sure it worked so took it off. Im still new to all this so any advice for frost on plants. ?

Dune

First of all; I really like your render! Lighting is great, very nice deer as well. One thing I would do, though, is lower the original grass object a bit (5-10cm), so the snow looks thicker as only grass tips protrude after populating. Or have them sit on a power fractal shader that has a little displacement and offset (say 10cm displacement and half of that as minus offset), attached to final shader, and 'hanging loose'.
To get frost on objects, you have to add a 'white' color (or a mix of bluish and white, with some translucency and/or luminosity, like can be done in a default shader) to the parts. If you just add a surface shader between the default shader and the part, it will be totally white, so you could mask that by something like a tiny fake stone in a certain coverage, so you get all little points of white, or a tiny power fractal, or both. All through a transform shader set to world/final position! On that surface shader you could add anything as a child, like the mentioned default shader with 'snow' settings.
But frost would probably be better seen if the light would be different. I wouldn't add any here.