More precise pointer regarding missing textures

Started by Dune, January 14, 2022, 02:28:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

When a texture is missing, there's a popup saying which it is. But if you have say more than 10 pops of objects (and often it's much more than that), it's kind of tedious to find where to look for the missing file and re-import. I then use a text editor to find the line and scroll up to find which object it is, but it would be handy if its location would be visible in TG directly.
Unless I miss something....

Hannes

sboerner

Not in front of TG right now but doesn't the Show Project Assets window do just that? It's what I've always used to fix broken links.

WAS

You are right, It be beneficial if it did something like

If an object:
Object Name > Default Shader name > Error

I'd even be happy if TG just spit out the raw xpath as a path to the error as it's pretty straight forward like

Error at /Object Name/Parts Shader/Default Shader/ missing texture: [texture path]

Which could even be a clickable link TG could use to go right to that shader or open it.

sboerner

WAS

Is this not just for a gathered project? For example, you can't just go to View -> Project Assets and get a read-out.

I honestly never gather projects unless shipping them to a node or releasing -- and to use it just to get an idea of missing assets is kinda weird to me.

sboerner

AFAIK it has nothing to do with gathered projects. I use this all the time.

WAS

Wow. Literally never paid that ANY attention. I guess because it says "Show" first instead of just "Assets" or "Project Assets".

Regardless though, the actual errors, are of no help when it comes to stuff like this, and it should be of the most help for debugging.

Dune

Aha, the secret button I never noticed! Thanks very much, Steve! Have to try if this works for me.

Dune

This works very well! But I do have a feature request. If you see errors, you can check the project assets and see what's wrong and in what object. But if it's a list it would be handy if the popup could stay on top, so you can relink them all, without having to switch focus again to the popup. I handled this by resizing the main window, but a check/button to maintain top position would be perfect, like how it works in Irfanview.

sboerner

Agree! It could even just stay on top by default, like node windows.

WAS

Stay on top button would be great, I wouldn't want it to default that way.

Also, there is space in Terragen on my system that is always dead when working with shaders or objects, an could easily just be filled with the project asset system. I feel that space should be utilized somehow.