Clouds flicker every 5th frame

Started by doctored, February 08, 2022, 12:12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctored

Hello first post here.
I've gone through a number of threads on this forum about cloud flicker.  It seems this is an issue that has been going on since at least 2007.  Are there any solutions?

My scene can be changed to work with any fix that exists.  There are a hundred little variables that you can select or unselect for any given scene.  Is there any combination of these that will give you a no flicker situation?

WAS

Quote from: doctored on February 08, 2022, 12:12:46 PMHello first post here.
I've gone through a number of threads on this forum about cloud flicker.  It seems this is an issue that has been going on since at least 2007.  Are there any solutions?

My scene can be changed to work with any fix that exists.  There are a hundred little variables that you can select or unselect for any given scene.  Is there any combination of these that will give you a no flicker situation?

First, have you optimized render settings for animation?

How are you animating the clouds?.

doctored

Yes. spent lots of time trying to optimize for a high resolution and long sequence so as to decrease render times.  I'm fine with levels of noise as I'll try adjusting it in post. 

The clouds are animated with enable drift and enable evolution.  Just trying to pin down the every 5th frame flicker issue.  What might cause that?

WAS

Quote from: doctored on February 08, 2022, 01:47:30 PMYes. spent lots of time trying to optimize for a high resolution and long sequence so as to decrease render times.  I'm fine with levels of noise as I'll try adjusting it in post. 

The clouds are animated with enable drift and enable evolution.  Just trying to pin down the every 5th frame flicker issue.  What might cause that?

So these are easy clouds? Alright, from what I've heard they are a little tricky to work with, and you want a slower evolution. I personally don't use them often at all and haven't animated them so probably not much help. (I think they look funny :P)

And by optimize, I mean the button under sequence.

doctored

Yes...definitely have run the animation check.

Pardon my noob-ness.  What other clouds are there?  Every cloud option that you add shows up in the atmosphere panel as Easy Clouds.

doctored

Darn it.  Forgot completely about Cloud Layer V3.

Can Terragen please give me 50 candy bars for my lost 9 days?

Kevin Kipper

Hi Doctored,

First, be sure to watch Part 23 "Render Settings Global Illumination" in the Terragen for VFX video series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0dtt4IusJM&t=1338s

It sounds odd that every fifth frame is presenting a problem.  It would be interesting to know if you're saving out a GI cache file and if so, how you're reading them back in.  For example, are you saving the GI every 5 frames; and when read back in is the Blend mode set to Interpolated for animation, and what is the number of frames to blend?

doctored

Thank you for this link.  I am glad I joined this forum to post this question.  I learned more in the past day by asking questions than by messing around by myself for what seems like ever.

Anyway, to answer your question, I had turned all GI off to save on render times.