Rock study v3 animation test

Started by Kadri, March 21, 2022, 08:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Quite incredible rock. Love that movement.

WAS

This is pretty darn cool, Kadri! I haven't seen anything like it before in Terragen.

Hannes

WAS

PS when I say never seen, I mean this type of displacement overhang and time based erosion. Matt scene in The Time Machine will always be forever dear to me as far as just time erosion goes. Even if today it seems so simple. That sh** opened my eyes to a world I wanted to be apart of.

Did you use image maps or something? I am actually very puzzled by how you did such unique weathering effect.

Kadri

Quote from: WAS on March 21, 2022, 04:36:03 PMPS when I say never seen, I mean this type of displacement overhang and time based erosion. Matt scene in The Time Machine will always be forever dear to me as far as just time erosion goes. Even if today it seems so simple. That sh** opened my eyes to a world I wanted to be apart of.

Did you use image maps or something? I am actually very puzzled by how you did such unique weathering effect.
When i do a scene like this, that movie comes always to my mind too Jordan :)
I always wish that there was much longer and more animations like that.

I used no image maps. It is all with nodes and actually easy. Wait i will show the node network.

WAS

Yeah I definitely agree. 

And wow, I actually suspected some image Magicka. Surprised there. 

Kadri

:)

This is the setup. As i said in the image thread the scene is based on my old sinkhole scene.

Very much basic as you see. Of course i used a good looking part.
It doesn't look like that in other parts ;)

What i saw from old tests for this kind of movement using less animated parameters as possible is the best.
For me at least. Here it looked like animating the "Fractal warp shader" would be kinda enough.
Warp amount goes from "0.5" to "1" and Roughness from "1" to "0.2".

WAS

That's pretty ingenious, and really simplistic in node setup. Going to have to play around with something like it.

Kadri

By the way i used "Raytrace everything" in the render settings
with some different settings in the "Render Subdiv settings node" like "Ray detail multiplier" at "1".
It takes nearly 3 times longer to render and does have a different kinda triangled polygonal look.
But you get much less bad displacement then using high different settings like "Displacement tolerance" "3" in the planet node for example.
And this takes more then 8 times to render. At least for this scene.
For rocky scenes i sometimes use this method.
You can see the difference below

Kadri

This gave me the opportunity to test the "Ray detail multiplier" setting to see what will happen when you use something like "3".
As you can guess it works and takes much much longer to render. The crop render you see  below was at 51 minutes when i stopped it.
The setting with "1" above took 9 minutes for the full render.

Dune

Did you do this on the planet? Might be interesting on a cube too.

Kadri

Quote from: Dune on March 22, 2022, 04:36:24 AMDid you do this on the planet? Might be interesting on a cube too.
It is on the planet.

I made many different tests with cubes. The problem is when i take this scene directly on a cube it looks more like chaos.
And when i lower the displacements etc. It doesn't look at all like above.

There are so few nodes but there is a delicate balance between parameters that it takes time to get it right in at least some places. And then adapting... I don't know but using displacements on a flat surface and 6 sided objects looks quite different...
Maybe Matt would say "as it should be" :)

But a kinda similar adapted step by step new approach might be usable maybe. I might give it a try later Ulco.

Hannes

Although I have no idea, how all this together produces such nice shapes, I'm very surprised, that there is only one blue node. Really cool stuff, Kadri!

Dune