Volcanic Lake

Started by aknight0, March 28, 2022, 11:54:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aknight0

I've had a lot of people ask me about creating more in-depth tutorials/classes beyond my typical YouTube shorts, so I'm happy to finally present TerraTuts Pro on Udemy.  The first installment gives a detailed walkthrough of creating a dormant volcanic lake.  It's nothing that's going to blow the minds of the Terragen veterans here, but does give a solid overview of bringing many techniques and tools together in one scene for a finished result.  This one took a significant amount of time and effort to put together, so I am putting it up as a paid course, but I hope it will be helpful for those who have been looking for this kind of thing.

https://www.udemy.com/course/terragen-by-example-volcanic-lake/?referralCode=2124A7EB547A163BB3BD  

WAS

Preview looks good, and since this is a step by step breakdown showing you how to get a similar result, I think it's worth the price considering the price of complete scenes (plus assets). 

I hope it works out for you. I am sure PlanetSide will rep it. Always good work from you to help people get started. I really wish my computer was faster so it wasn't such a hassle doing them. I'd love to just clip the files and be done but with how slow rendering/reviewing is, I gotta go in and time stretch (more contract) areas so they go by quickly for the next part, or final result. It was just annoying .

Dune

Good show. Looks good in preview, so I wish you luck too, and hopefully we'll get some more enthusiasts here.

Hannes

Yes, this looks very good!! Good luck!

pixelpusher636

Indeed Sir. I've devoured the Terratuts youtube series in it's entirety and I have to say you have a knack for creating interesting content that keeps the mind wanting more. Soooo, this was a smart move! Looking forward to what you come up with for Terratuts Pro!!
The more I use Terragen, the more I realize the world is not so small.

aknight0

Thanks guys!  I'm always inspired by the great work you all are posting, and definitely indebted to the many years of forum wisdom built up here.  

WAS

Quote from: aknight0 on March 29, 2022, 11:16:59 PMThanks guys!  I'm always inspired by the great work you all are posting, and definitely indebted to the many years of forum wisdom built up here. 
Most welcome. I'm really glad we have you. Without you, we wouldn't have tutorials for video TG4 at all I don't think.

And yeah this forum really is just filled to the brim with useful information for figuring this software out. And so much to learn and try, and hope for.

Balletdude

Looks amazing, may have to get it when I next paid from my upcoming freelance job.

My only concern is it mentions the classic erosion plug in. I don't think this is available for mac.

Do you have your own work around for it in the series

I do have my own, just wondering if there was a different way included

aknight0

I don't know of any workaround for Mac unfortunately, other than asking Daniil to make a compatible version.  You could do the rest of the tutorial without it, you just wouldn't have the nice erosion grooves on the mountainside.  

I've used Terragen successfully on Paperspace before, and that was pretty cheap, so renting some time on a cloud PC is a potential option as well.

Dune

Can't you emulate windows on Mac?

Balletdude

Quote from: aknight0 on March 31, 2022, 03:06:05 PMI don't know of any workaround for Mac unfortunately, other than asking Daniil to make a compatible version.  You could do the rest of the tutorial without it, you just wouldn't have the nice erosion grooves on the mountainside. 

I've used Terragen successfully on Paperspace before, and that was pretty cheap, so renting some time on a cloud PC is a potential option as well.
just sent you an inbox message with a link to my workaround I've used for creating erosion to shaders like the crater shader, would like to know your thoughts

WAS

You can actually get some pretty "decent" erosion out of the box with Terragen for a Shield Volcano and other sorts of large mountainous stuff. I don't think I ever actually shared the method though, so look out.

Balletdude

Quote from: WAS on April 01, 2022, 04:19:05 PMYou can actually get some pretty "decent" erosion out of the box with Terragen for a Shield Volcano and other sorts of large mountainous stuff. I don't think I ever actually shared the method though, so look out.
I have my own workaround, I do like to see if others do, and see how they vary

I'll send you a link to my method

pixelpusher636

Quote from: Dune on April 01, 2022, 01:36:16 AMCan't you emulate windows on Mac?
You can, and what would be even more convenient would be using WINE or wine bottler and creating the Terragen app for Mac. Trouble is getting the CE plugin in the app directory after. It is doable though. 

pixelpusher636

Quote from: aknight0 on March 31, 2022, 03:06:05 PMI don't know of any workaround for Mac unfortunately, other than asking Daniil to make a compatible version.  You could do the rest of the tutorial without it, you just wouldn't have the nice erosion grooves on the mountainside. 

Last I heard he was quite busy at Quadspinner and taking a break from developing CE. he also doesn't have a Mac to develop for OS's beyond Mojavé so anything above that is not going going to be stable. Fingers crossed something changes 🤞