I welcome you to a very cloudy planet

Started by Will, January 10, 2007, 02:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

Hey guys this is my first orbital shot. Ive been playing around with the cloud and the planet shader. I was also wondering if anyone had figured out a way to make a forest like looking area with the planet shader. anyway tell me what you think.

The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

vissroid

haha very nice. this is very much like my first one as well.

Well I havnt found a way to get trees with planet shader. theres not alot you can really do with that shader(trust me I've been messing with that thing nearly every day)

but of course there are things Im not sure that do things.

if theres a will theres a way. :D

The Geostation

What is impressive is how Terragen will also remember to render the atmosphere halo on the edge of the planet.   The blue looks a little dark - if the colour is lightened in the atmosphere settings would it change the colour of the halo?

Andrew Randle
The Geostation
Andrew Randle
The Geostation

Will

yes ive been playing around with that, I think it has to do with the bluesky additve and the red decay.

Njen

Quote from: The Geostation on January 11, 2007, 04:54:36 AM
What is impressive is how Terragen will also remember to render the atmosphere halo on the edge of the planet.   The blue looks a little dark - if the colour is lightened in the atmosphere settings would it change the colour of the halo?

Andrew Randle
The Geostation

TG2 is not rendering a halo as such, just that the atmosphere extends higher than clouds all over the planet surface.

Dark Fire

Quote from: vissroid on January 10, 2007, 03:37:34 PM
haha very nice. this is very much like my first one as well.
I think most people would have tried a render from space (or high in the atmosphere) first. There are several reasons:
1. It looks impressive.
2. You could only dream of putting the camera above the clouds in the old Terragen.
3. It is easy.
4. You can see how your first play with the settings has influenced the entire planet.

I have not yet progressed to putting the camera near the ground, but the picture here has inspired me to do that next.

Will

I agree dark fire I think playinf in space can be helpful to those who are new to terragen or (like me) node based programs in genral.

Also I was wondering how you could apply the crader shader to the planet shade effectivly, for example in the thread Fun with the crater shader you 3Dguy seemed to get some pretty cool resualts out of the crater shading and even things resembling tital waves. I'm now wondering wether you could use it to make a nice looking meteor impact, like the ones you always see on the science channel speicals about the end of the dinosuars.

Dark Fire

You can create a meteor impact with the crater shader, but you might want to fiddle with a few colour settings and add some random rocks to make it look authentic.

3DGuy

I've seen a post somewhere where a very large crater messed up the planet, it produced a black hole in the planet. Seems very large craters have some issues.

Will

Yea but can you connect the crater shader to the planet shader and have it work? I've tried playing around with it but I can never seem to find where the creater is :)

3DGuy

Not directly. As far as I know. You'll need to have a compute terrain between it. Default it's located at one of the corners (lower left) of the default heightfield square you see when you start a new scene.

Will

Will

well it does work but I can't seem to be able to change the position of the crator, do you think I need to use a transform for that?

3DGuy

The crater shader has 3 entries which give the x,y,z positions. It's the 1st line which says 'center'. Just move it by using entering values in the x and z (1st and 3rd box) boxes.

Will

I tryed that and it didn't work so I tryed the transform and only the scale worked, Im still trying to figure it out. Anyway Im getting the black hole thing your were talking about and Im seeing if it has to do with the depth of the crator. All keep you guys posted on things and thanks for the help :)