Fake Stone Colouring

Started by WAS, April 29, 2022, 01:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Is there really no way to fix this stuff? I've tried merging by height, masking by scalar to disp and scalar to boolean, colour adjust, etc, no matter what, once the stones are on a terrain, their texturing just breaks up. Doesn't matter if the texture is part of the fake stones surface, or masked to the stones in a surface layer. Same effect. About 40-50% of rocks aren't textured. I tried patch sizes, better colour/disp, everything I can think of, and nothing works.

Is this just not possible with how fake stones are handled currently? It's strange that no matter how complicated regular terrain is, the colouring is uniform, but with fake stones, we have this really bad bug in texturing.

Dune

I bump against that all the time, and have spent a good many hours trying to at least minimize the problem. But I think it's due to the nature of the 'explosion' of the thin globe sheet to form a stone. The texture can't really be based on something global, or it needs to be recalculated after the new displaced state the globe sheet has attained. That needs to be done inside TG (in the software itself) I guess.

WAS

I would agree, if it wasn't for being able to make the Fake Stones from Voronoi Diff, or PF, and doing it from scratch without the issue really present except overhang of lateral (which is an issue even with terrains and masking colours to cliffs).

It's so exclusive to Fake Stones, I feel it's something to do with it's ancient approach to displacement/colouring.

Dune

Of course, if you make 'your own' fake stones and use tiny recalculations, it can be textured pretty perfectly. That's what I said; it's inherent to the fake stones' nature.

WAS

I was able to reproduce the same look by putting my fake stones in final position before colour masking. Even though FS was final, and the masks were final, they didn't actually align to the displacement and 40-50% of the stones uncoloured. But without final position can get them all coloured. May share the stones, the density feature on is using smooth cell diff is actually kinda cool.

Only issue with your own stones is the very base has a lip where disp starts and colour doesn't. Though I have noticed this with other stuff too. Like doing melt snow.