Spam!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by Hannes, May 14, 2022, 05:40:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

Dear Planetside staff,
today the whole forum is once again filled with this spam crap. We mentioned this problem several times before, and unfortunately we don't hear anything from you regarding this problem. Jordan wrote about some ways to protect a forum from spam. Almost each and every day I (and others as well of course) report spammers. It's quite frustrating, that somehow all this leaves the impression, that you just don't care, since we hear absolutely nothing about that from you. The last forum update didn't make things better. Maybe it was even worse than before.
Honestly I can't imagine, that you don't care, but we don't see it at all. Especially today's occupation spoils my enjoyment to enter this site now. It's absolutely no fun to first dig through all this sh*t, before I can find appropriate posts.
I'd really appreciate to hear a statement from you!

aknight0

Agreed, it almost makes me wish someone would start up an alternative.  This place is pretty run down as far as forums go.  Discord maybe?  A lot of other world-building apps have moved that direction, and they seem to have a lot more activity and hardly any spam.  

itsdavidblaker

Would love a Discord!!! Super easy for quick interactions there

Dune

Whatever works to get those annoying spammers out. And I agree with Hannes about the lack of response regarding our complaints. Tell us what can be done and what you intend to do about it, please!

Hannes

Thanks, guys! I hope there will be some official statement soon.

denders

I'm kinda new here (this may actually be my first post, what a subject to start out on) but I've been flagging the spam stuff when I see it. I wonder if the person who normally takes care of it is on vacation or somewhere else atm.

I've been slowly working on learning how to use Terragen. Working my way through tutorials and working out in my mind how to make what I'm interested in creating.

Dave

Dune

Well, welcome to the forum then. Very interesting forum with lots of beautiful spam and uninteresting links ;D
But without kidding; we hope to see more of you. Any questions, do ask them!

Hannes

Another spam attack once again. ::)
And no statement at all by the Planetside staff so far. I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed.
Actually we don't hear very much of the staff at all. In the days when Oshyan still was here, this forum was one of the rare (software-) communities, where there was a permanent feedback from both sides. The interaction between members and staff is not very common and so this exceptional forum was probably one of the reasons, why people decided to use TG and not another software.
Now it feels like there's just a handful of members, who constantly talk to each other and no one else is listening. I believe this place could be as exceptional and inspiring as it was, if there would be someone who's in charge to communicate with us.

I know, it might sound a bit dramatic, but at least for me this forum somehow became part of my life. I really love to work with Terragen, and it's heartbreaking to feel let alone with it.

Dune

I totally agree with all you say, and I might add that I'm glad you're still here. Keeps it at least kind of a homely place ;D Nothing dramatic about it. But it's only hardly a handful now, and more spam than users  :(

Hannes

Quote from: Dune on May 21, 2022, 08:07:26 AMI might add that I'm glad you're still here. Keeps it at least kind of a homely place ;D
Wow, thanks, Ulco!!! These are very nice words, and I can only say, that I think the same. :)

WAS

Quote from: Hannes on May 21, 2022, 05:23:30 AMI know, it might sound a bit dramatic, but at least for me this forum somehow became part of my life. I really love to work with Terragen, and it's heartbreaking to feel let alone with it.

This. This right here.

Ariel DK

This forum, even with this spam crap, is more understandable, judicious, kindness, and overall far better than any social media. Even if there is only a few dayly artist, and others going around like me. Is sad that we have to be here talking about to where move out...
Hmmm, what version of Terragen does God use?

Dune

And what's more; it's wide on the screen and without f**ng ads.

Matt

On Thursday I made some changes to the verification process for signups and first posts. According to the logs, we haven't had any new spam account registrations since that moment, whereas previously there was at least one a day.

We have tried a large range of protection settings and plugins over the years, which clearly were not enough, but this seems to be working (at least until the attackers change tactics). I don't think we can expect stop all spam, but we will continue trying to hold most of it at bay.

I love having a dedicated forum for Terragen and even more happy that it feels like home to you :)

Quote from: Ariel DK on May 21, 2022, 08:47:59 PMThis forum, even with this spam crap, is more understandable, judicious, kindness, and overall far better than any social media.

Let's keep it that way :)
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Dune

We'll see if anything turns up. Thanks very much, Matt. And keep on developing your secret surprise!!!!