Difference between "Along vertical" and "Along normal

Started by Mid-Knight Acchan, May 27, 2022, 10:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mid-Knight Acchan

I am referring to the "Displacement direction" sample image, "File:DefShdr 09 DisplacementTab DisplacementDirectionAlongVertical.jpg".
The image is not vertical as in "File:DefShdr 09 DisplacementTab DisplacementDirectionAlongVertical.jpg".

https://www.planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=File:DefShdr_09_DisplacementTab_DisplaceDirectionAlongVertical.jpg

"Along vertical" and "Along normal" give the same result, what am I doing wrong?

I started 3D landscape with "Bryce" and am currently editing Japanese Wiki as a Terragen user. I am riding the Kawasaki ZEPHYR1100. I am a reader.

Dune

Better use a vector displacement shader, like this. Or you could place it before the default shader.

Mid-Knight Acchan

Thank you for your response.
However, wouldn't that mean that the "Displacement direction" by itself would not work?
Are you saying that the wiki sample does not use only the "Default Shader"?
Perhaps the "vertical" in the sample is "vertical" for the "Planet" object, not the red object?
I started 3D landscape with "Bryce" and am currently editing Japanese Wiki as a Terragen user. I am riding the Kawasaki ZEPHYR1100. I am a reader.

Dune

I tried several options but couldn't get it to work with just the default shader, so I guess it doesn't work indeed. Even with a transform shader set to world vertical (by planet/world standards) isn't vertical on the small sphere. I can't tell how the wiki example was made. There's no tgd either.

Mid-Knight Acchan

I still think so. Thanks for the confirmation.
TG is a deep black box in many ways ;)

Dune

Matt

Quote from: Mid-Knight Acchan on May 28, 2022, 03:21:04 AMPerhaps the "vertical" in the sample is "vertical" for the "Planet" object, not the red object?

Yes. The wiki example shows displacement of the planet. The red dome isn't a separate red object, it's part of the planet. I don't know exactly which shader Kevin used to create the red dome, but we can create a similar looking dome with a Simple Shape Shader whose edge profile is set to "Radius".

It's unusual to use the Default Shader directly on a planet, but the displacement direction settings are available in case you do. It has the same displacement direction options as other displacement shaders, but some of the options only make sense when displacing a planet. We wanted to show what all the settings do, even if it's not a typical use case.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

WAS

I usually use a default shader for static planets, IE textures and stuff. But for procedural, I haven't really done that. It may be easier to mask reflection areas this way instead of masking a surface layer, but meh.