3D Preview - record multiple positions of the main camera

Started by KlausK, June 23, 2022, 03:15:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KlausK

In another thread I commented on the 3D Preview:

Back in the days before the RTP (TG v3.x) you had the possibility to open more 3D Preview Windows as floating window.
This functionality - sadly - was never brought back. In a thread back then Matt explained that this had to do with how the RTP works.
Having that you could have different point of views of the terrain you were working on and zoom in as far as you like. They were all independent
Perspective views - with any combination of shading - and the 3D Preview embedded in the main program window would show your render view.
Exactely what I (one) needed to work faster and more efficent. Everything in only one view needs lots of clicking and changing pov and resetting...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Here is my Feature Request:

To work around the fact that we cannot have more than one 3D Preview I would like to suggest this:

Everytime you want to render out a cropped view for a different view of your scene you either have to setup different cameras and change to the one
you want to render or you need to record the pov after changing the cameras pov in the main 3D Preview. Only then it will render what you see in the viewport.

I think it would be quite helpful to be able to "store" different povs of one camera and be able to switch between them with a one-click action.
That is a functionality e.g. Softimage XSI had back in the days (and I am quite sure other modern 3D apps offer this too).

A row of 4-6 buttons at the top of the main 3D Preview which record the position of your main camera and let you switch to one of them instantly - and render this view.

I wonder if that would be a viable option to be built in.

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

WAS

Quote from: KlausK on June 23, 2022, 03:15:10 AMIn another thread I commented on the 3D Preview:

Back in the days before the RTP (TG v3.x) you had the possibility to open more 3D Preview Windows as floating window.
This functionality - sadly - was never brought back. In a thread back then Matt explained that this had to do with how the RTP works.
Having that you could have different point of views of the terrain you were working on and zoom in as far as you like. They were all independent
Perspective views - with any combination of shading - and the 3D Preview embedded in the main program window would show your render view.
Exactely what I (one) needed to work faster and more efficent. Everything in only one view needs lots of clicking and changing pov and resetting...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Here is my Feature Request:

To work around the fact that we cannot have more than one 3D Preview I would like to suggest this:

Everytime you want to render out a cropped view for a different view of your scene you either have to setup different cameras and change to the one
you want to render or you need to record the pov after changing the cameras pov in the main 3D Preview. Only then it will render what you see in the viewport.

I think it would be quite helpful to be able to "store" different povs of one camera and be able to switch between them with a one-click action.
That is a functionality e.g. Softimage XSI had back in the days (and I am quite sure other modern 3D apps offer this too).

A row of 4-6 buttons at the top of the main 3D Preview which record the position of your main camera and let you switch to one of them instantly - and render this view.

I wonder if that would be a viable option to be built in.

CHeers, Klaus

Seems like a good idea. Could just add another elements to camera point setting, like "Copy to Location Catalog"

And then have a drop down to select locations of that camera next to those buttons under the 3D preview. Also inside the camera node. 

Dune

I wonder if you should make the number of buttons even higher. If I need another view, I just copy a location, drop a camera there, re-attach the line from renderer to that camera and select that camera (second button from left). Very easy and fast.

KlausK

@WAS that would work too, I guess.

@Dune well, I find that - like described - a slow workflow. Hence my feature proposal.
But maybe I am having it all wrong :o
And again (another dead horse I am beating):
the SDK or even scripting would make it probably easy to implement such functions on our own.

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

KlausK

Here is a quick capture of the functionality in XSI.
The buttons turn orange after you record a Camera - Position.
It`s not easy to see in the video. Sorry for that.

CHeers, Klaus

Dune

I agree it's a bit faster to click on one button instead of attach a line and hit a button, but still, working in TG is probably a slow and careful process anyway, so personaly I don't mind, and hate to have too many buttons, and make TG look more complicated.
But I will work with it anyway  ;D