Internet Sharing to Ethernet - Windows 10/11 Crashes

Started by WAS, June 24, 2022, 12:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I wonder if maybe anyone here has some networking experience. I thought I did, but I can't figure this out.

For 7 years I have used PDANet and a spare 4G/5G phone as a modem. I share the PDANet internet adapter with the Ethernet Adapter (prior to this using the VPN Adapater to share to Ethernet) to share internet to the Wifi Router and provide coverage to the house. Recently, ironically, after I lost my subscription to ExpressVPN and lost my VPN (which gives me normal internet and not mobile pages here and there), I suddenly can't share internet. Every time I share internet to the Ethernet, ANY application that uses the internet on the PC will freeze, and eventually the PC will Blue\Green\Black screen of death.

Things I have tried...

• Uninstalled Ethernet Adapter and Reinstalled
  • Uninstalled and Reinstalled PDANet
  • Reset Networking
  • Released DNS
  • Swapped cables
  • Cleaned main board and ethernet port
  • Reset the Router
  • RESET WINDOWS
  • Enabled TPM 2.0 Emulation
  • Installed Windows 11 (really didn't want to until Windows 10 support fully ended in 2023 or 2024)
  • Installed a free VPN to try and share the VPN adapter like ExpressVPN adapter
  • Tried disabling IPv6 support on the phone, PDANet adapter, and Ethernet Adapter
  • Tried a local tunnel to try a freshly installed adapter

I really am at a loss. Starting to think the ethernet on the mainboard may have died. Which is fun. Everything is dying on this setup. Monitor, RAM, just had to swap the K70 with the keyboard that came with the PC. I don't even know what's going on anymore...

masonspappy

When you said this: " Every time I share internet to the Ethernet, ANY application that uses the internet on the PC will freeze,"  I've seen something similar to that 2 different times. First time it was a memory module that went bad. Second time was a power supply gone bad. 

WAS

Quote from: masonspappy on June 24, 2022, 10:25:54 PMFirst time it was a memory module

Well that would be ironic, one of the 2 DIMMs has crapped itself.

WAS

Man, not even with just the good first DIMM is it working. This is infuriating. Just all of a sudden and seemingly no fix.

masonspappy

Not even sure I should say this, but.... if you have a local recycling center and it keeps PCs/electronics in a separate place like mine does, it might be worth checking out if you can get away with it)

As long as Terragen rendering is not required, my 11 year old i7-860 is still my workhorse, thanks to my local county recycling enter.  I've scored a 650 watt power supply, 4 GB of RAM (allowing me to increase my total PC capacity from 8GB to 12 GB), a dongle for my wireless mouse and extra cables to connect monitors and an SSD.  All Free. The 650 watt power supply allowed me to install an 8GB Graphics card (bought off my son in law for $200).

To be honest, I wasn't supposed to removing stuff from the Recyc Center, but I figured it was all trashed so it was fair game.  Sadly, the recycling center personnel finally figured out what I was up to and have chased me out of the electronics depot on my last 2 visits.  Turns out the actually have my license number earmarked on their computers, so when I pull up to the gate my picture (yes, they have my mug shot!!) pops up on their screens. (The b*st*rds)

:)

Dune

Strange that they object to re-use of discarded material, that should not be the case in a environmentally concious society. Everything being re-used is good for the planet. But good that you got something out of it.

masonspappy

Quote from: Dune on June 27, 2022, 02:18:34 AMStrange that they object to re-use of discarded material, that should not be the case in a environmentally concious society.
I agree.
In this case, the county government owns the recycling center and I guess they are afraid someone will hurt themselves while on site and sue the county.

Dune

That's a valid point. Well, they could open a 'selling counter', where you can ask for specific stuff and a volunteer seeking it out in the mountains of 'rubbish'.

WAS

Washington is unfortunately not like this. In fact, apparently, e-waste must be stored, and disposed of in a proper manner. The Washington E-Cycle program places, like dumps, don't allow you to take anything.

Washington is all about being green, but being sure none of the recycling benefits its citizens. Just the government's pocket books (they have sold e-waste to China before).

There are places like PC Recycle which buy old computers or take old computers, but everything they price is stupid. They take online listings, use that price, and then add profit on top of that.

Dune

Too bad. A lot of things are not as they should be!