64-bit Windows XP

Started by rcallicotte, December 14, 2007, 09:14:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

Anyone tell me how much trouble it would be to play games like Half-Life on a 64-bit system?  What sort of loss is there, if at all?

8G of RAM just seems too good to be true.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

dhavalmistry

yes I loved 64-bit version of XP....it all worked good for me without any hassle...
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

rcallicotte

DH, what do you use now?  And would you mind explaining why you changed over and how it's going?

Oshyan

It shouldn't be any trouble and there shouldn't be any particular "loss". For 32 bit applications you run (automatically) in a very fast emulation mode and there is really no noticeable slowdown (maybe 1-3% on average - imperceptible). For 64 bit applications you can actually often get a performance *increase* (sometimes 10% or more, although often you get no benefit besides increased memory space). Most specific applications have no issues with a 64 bit environment, it's drivers for your hardware that you have to watch out for. With Vista out now a lot of hardware manufacturers seem to be ignoring XP 64 a bit more, which is unfortunate. But most major hardware should still be well supported on XP 64 and I'd personally recommend it over Vista (having had personal experience with both).

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

Thanks, Oshyan.  Wishing for my dream machine.  LOL

Will

its an old topic but I would like to add some thing that I just recently found out.

1. no iTunes for x64 xp (if you still have it on an older disk though it seems to work, just no ripping music from cds)
2. Terrible Soundblaster drivers
3. interesting quirks (liking being able to play fallout but not being able to play it in 32bit)
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

rcallicotte

Thanks, Will.  The more information the better.  I haven't purchased anything.   8)

sjefen

Is it possible to have both Windows xp Pro 32bit & Windows xp Pro 64bit on the same computer?
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Will

The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Fenring

I have used Windows XP x64 for game development on the bf2 engine, works much better than vista! Also even classic 32bit apps like world machine can benefit since x64 gives 32bit applications 4gb adress space by default. On xp pro 32 you have to activate it manualy. I never had any problems with battlefield 2. The only concern is drivers but if you have fairly recent system this should not be a concern. Also terragen 2 worked perfectly even with remote desktop.

rcallicotte