I welcome you to a very cloudy planet

Started by Will, January 10, 2007, 02:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3DGuy

Doesn't work? The script I made uses the x and z coordinates to move around the craters.

Will

hmm how would you set up the nodes for this? I currently have the crater shader -> transform -> compute terran -> planet 1 I don't know all tha tmuch about nodes so this might just be more a problum with my in experence. Cool script by the way.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

3DGuy

Much the same as you've stated. I would leave the base colours node in there so you can control the colour of your planet. Currently rendering a scene so my rig is a bit to busy to make you a screenshot at the moment.

Will

yes I forgot to put that compute terrain is connect to the planet shader to give color, Ive added a rock to take the place of an asteroyed and it seems that once I put it a cordnate to move it it disapears, any idea what going on this is my first real try at nodes based editing so Im afraid im kind of flying blind in all this.

3DGuy

You're probably moving it out of view ;) Just remember that the second entry (y value) dictates the height. Move it a few meters at first so you know where it goes. You could also copy the values of your camera (except the y value) to put it directly below the camera position and finetune it from there. Not quite sure if you need to enter a Y value if your terrain has mountains though. Haven't quite experimented with that.

Will

yea I tryed that but it just seems to dissapear after moving the object more then .7 in any direction. Its weird. Have you ever had the problum of not being able to mvoe somthing?

3DGuy

I just remembered a bug report on the rock object and found the thread again:
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=354.0

Seems there's something wrong with the builtin rock object. So that may be the problem.

Will

hmm that seems like the thing, Thanks 3DGuy  ;D Imm I could import a rock from VUE6 that would work I guess is the displacment working at the moment for imported objects?

3DGuy

Well it works, but there's some issues with that as well. See this thread:
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=409.0

I'm starting to think I spend too much time on the forums knowing all these threads exist :D

Will

heh well then you could be consitered a honorary moderator then  ;) Anyway Im still working on this and ill keep this you guys updated on the projet but for now I must study for THE MIDTERMS! dododo who knows 8 hours away from terragen might acualy do me some good (yea, right :P). But one last thing does the planet shaders oceans work on a gradient? becuase they have peudo transarity getting greener near land.

3DGuy

To be honest, I have no idea. Seems they're blending the colours, but only the programmers can really answer that one.