Matt's music

Started by narvik, November 15, 2007, 09:21:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

efflux

Some eye candy of my last purchase. An all valve Revox G36 reel to reel. I should post this at Gearslutz. It's the kind of thing they drool over. When you look at this it makes you realize why algorithms can't compete. How could you emulate all that in code? This machine is 40 years old yet when I send this through my valve hifi amp I love to see the look on peoples faces. It is mindblowing. In fact this gear has kind of ruined my computer music making because I lose sound quality when it goes digital. Some of the best valve mic preamps ever made are inside this. Just over £200 I think this was on eBay and hardly ever used. Mint condition. Absolutely Mad! A totally irreplaceable piece of kit.

I think the mistake people have made with audio is believing that computers can replace the gear rather than compliment it. For graphics, it's another ball game. You wouldn't want to do analog photography for example and CG can do stuff that is impossible any other way.

Maybe one day you'll hear all this gear in action but probably not until I get into animation which will be while away. Audio will be a vital component though. I don't want anyone hearing my old pre computer stuff anymore, mostly done on a sampler. It's old hat. My new stuff will be radically different.

dhavalmistry

for a second I thought the 2nd image was some kinda CPU cooling system....
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

efflux

he he. If you think I'm a geek you should see some of the people on the GearSlutz forum. Unfortunately music making can be a very expensive hobby. The gear is so specialized so has to cost a fortune. Graphics is dirt cheap in comparison. However the trend to all computers is a godsend for the likes of me. That tape machine would have cost the equivalent of several thousand pounds back in 1968. The music of the future will come from bedroom studios. Professional studios often go the route of software for speed of recording one band after another. They don't want to mess around with tape for example - a sound that has made nearly all the classic recordings we know of from the last 50 years. The life is sucked out of pro recordings now. The soul digitally tweaked out of it. I think music is generally in a terrible state now. Rarely anything interesting or new.

narvik

Quote from: Matt on December 04, 2007, 09:33:07 PM
I have newer pieces which may be better but I haven't uploaded them because they don't really broaden the repertoire.

Narvik (MAL?): let me know which of these pieces you prefer and I will dig out some more MP3s for you.

Yes, it is I, MAL! ;-)

Hey Matt, ANY new stuff will be much appreciated; but to give you an idea, The Fix, and Long Crossing would be my favourite, I guess.

Much appreciated in any event......

rcallicotte

@efflux - I completely understand the dedication and expense.  In the 70s, I had a reel-to-reel Sony with a Marantz amp.  Fun.  Fun.  Fun.

RealUser

Quote from: Matt on December 04, 2007, 09:33:07 PM
Thanks for all the comments :)
(...)

Markus: the only music hardware I still own is an M-Audio USB keyboard, and I haven't even used it yet! It's all in software (mostly Reason - you can probably hear it...)  I also used to play the piano and have forgotten much of it, but I can still improvise enough to annoy my parents when I visit them :)  My electronic music rarely starts out from the keyboard though. Piano and music production always seem to happen separately for me. Some day I will try some cross-pollination...
Matt

I received my EMU 1212m with emulatorX and other s/w today and a behringer mixer and midi controller ... much to learn here ... yupiiiieee. What you said about hardware: I am certain some time the software engineers invent the perfect algorithm for creating every sound one wants to achieve, but that can't compensate for the experience of a hardware synth or other sound creation machine. At this point, the emulations sound often very good, but come not close to the original machine in the details. Which doesn't necessarily mean you can't make good music and sounds with software and emulated instruments.

Markus
Markus / RealUser
visit my Renderosity Gallery at
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?username=RealUser

moodflow

Well Matt's got some great stuff.  I've been listening to some of his tracks in my creation mixes.  Space cargo keeps getting stuck in my head - but thats a good thing.
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

Will

I listen to NPR while I work, beat that for geeky.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Sethren

Hey, efflux. The bottom image, are those vaccume tubes?

NPR used to play a radio broadcast called Echoes every night from 10-11pm if i remember and i used to record all of the electronic music on old fuji cassettes. Apparently they ran out of funding and stopped playing the broadcast in the So-Cal area which as much funding as NPR gets it is a load of crap.

Software has a long way to go to come close to real hardware synths. Some decent programs though for sound design for software i want to look into is some stuff by Steinberg, Spectrasonics, IK Multimedia, reFX and Auturia.

A killer synth i am looking into is the Alesis Andromeda 6. It's a wooping 3K$ but it is supposed to be one of the best analog hardware synths currently available. Some day i will buy it even if i have to make monthly payments. Two of my main musical interests are film scores/my own made up scores of course and acousti-electronic genres.

http://www.retrothing.com/2005/12/alesis_a6_andro.html

rcallicotte

I'm at a loss for words.  I feel like I've broken into a secret meeting.   ;D

Will

I wonder if they hand a handshake...

Sethren

Rob Papen's Albino 3!

This demo is very additive. One could spend months just playing with sound design.      :o

http://www.linplug.com/Instruments/Albino_3/albino_3.htm

Will

Any of you ever listen to the stuff the EVE online makes available from its soundtrack, some good stuff there (at least in my opinion)

moodflow

Quote from: Will on December 18, 2007, 05:48:06 PM
Any of you ever listen to the stuff the EVE online makes available from its soundtrack, some good stuff there (at least in my opinion)

I remember Jon Hallur was Eve's music guy a couple of years ago.  I downloaded all of this "available" stuff and still have it as part of my "render mix".  Great stuff!

Of course there is the moodflow stuff, but its getting older now.  (shameless plug)   ;D  :o
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music