514 bmp shadow renders

Started by No27, January 02, 2008, 04:13:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

No27

Im new to terragen and i was wondering if it was posible to render 514x514 bmp shadows onto a 1920x1920 image? It seems the closest i can get is 513x513 in the defualt size options.thanks

Oshyan

I'm not really clear on what exactly you're trying to do here. TG2 supports arbitrary terrain sizes, although some functions do not work well with terrains that are not one of the standard sizes (127, 257, 513, 1025, 2049, or 4097 pixels square). Imported textures, used with the SOPack plugin, can be of any size. Any terrain or texture size that fits in memory can be rendered and the resulting image can also be of any size.

If you can explain your problem more specifically it will make it easier to help.

- Oshyan

No27

Im importing a BMP file from photoshop i did of free hand drawn terrain and i want to render shadows... the Bmp file is 514x514 but i only seem to be able to choose from the default sizes so i choose 513x513 being its the closest out of the defaut sizes! i was wondering if there was a way to change the bmp size in terragen to 514 with out using the default size's because when i import the shadow file into photoshop the shadows are a little bit off because the shadows were rendered at 513x513 in terragen because i dont know how to change the size to anything other than 127,257,513,1025,2049,4097, and the photoshop bmp is 514x514.Hope that makes sense! here is the basic steps im am doing.

1) Open terragen and open up my saved shadow world file

2)Open up the landscape option and change the size to 513x513 and the meters point spacing is set to 15

3)Then still in the landscape option i choose accessories then select firmament Bmp import i then select my saved Bmp file from photoshop wich is 514x514 and set the scaling factor to 15%.

4)I then choose rendering control option! i select units then go to camera settings tick orthographic and set the view width to 513. my image size is set to 1920x1920.Then i go to render settings the quality settings are set at high with ultra,extra blended,and fast sub all ticked. in options...render landscape and back-face culling are both ticked...the advanced setting is at the default 64mb.

5)Then i set the lighting conditions to suit my needs and then render the image.

So basicly i just need to know how to set the bmp size to 514x514 in terragen so its the same size as the bmp file i am importing. thanks

Oshyan

This is a Firmament (plugin) limitation, not a Terragen limitation. Terragen can render 514x514 terrains if necessary (although since it's only 1 pixel difference it might just be easier to resize your terrain bmp before import). You can use a different terrain editor program to load the bmp and convert to .ter, then Terragen should be able to load any size, including 514x514. I suggest the free Wilbur or Terraformer 2.

- Oshyan

No27

I cant resize it to 513 it has to be 514 because later down the track i load it into another programe so it has to stay 514 because the other programe will only accept 514x514 bmp.Thanks for your help i will try this and see how i go.