Minimum Graphics Card RAM Requierments for TG2

Started by Cyber-Angel, December 31, 2007, 08:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oshyan

I would forget about upgrading your current system, but don't assume that you need to spend gobs of money to get a great new system either, and remember that some parts of your current system may also be salvageable and may not hurt performance much at all on a new system (e.g. hard drive, optical drive).

You will almost certainly need the following new:

Case and power supply
Motherboard
CPU
RAM
Graphics card (unless onboard - with enough RAM this is not a major issue unless you want to play games)

That's really it, and you may be surprised how affordable it can be. I bought a pretty excellent system a few months ago for about $1600, including a new copy of Windows Vista x64 (which I would not recommend - transfer your old XP license over if you can and save money). My system is a 2.4Ghz Intel quad core with 8GB of RAM, a 500GB HD, Nvidia Geforce 8800GTS, and a decent motherboard, in an Antec case with a 600w power supply. If you went with a cheaper graphics card and half the RAM you could get something under $1000 these days. If that's still too much, you can easily get a still very decent machine with at least dual core at 2.4+ghz per core and 2+GB of RAM for about $500.

If you're in the US, Newegg.com is a great place to purchase parts (provided you can build it yourself), or check out PCClub.com for system builds (best if they have a local store in your area). Outside the US I'm not sure of the best options for a system builder, but generally an online/large chain will be cheaper and the local shops may or may not have the best knowledge and experience. Internationally Dell is becoming a better and better option as they continue to provide Windows XP and are now offering "no software bundle" options on several of their systems. Look for this option and Windows XP as I wouldn't recommend Vista yet.

Edit: Zionner, they don't even have 3.4Ghz quad core CPU's yet, at least not without overclocking.

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

Oshyan, can you venture to tell us where you purchased your unit?  If so, where?  Was it an online purchase?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Oshyan

I put mine together myself. I've worked as an IT professional for about the past 10 years so I have a lot of experience doing it. I bought the parts from the aforementioned Newegg.com.

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

Thanks.  I've built a few.  Not sure what I'll do.

I've even wondered about a laptop.

Quote from: Oshyan on January 06, 2008, 02:54:37 PM
I put mine together myself. I've worked as an IT professional for about the past 10 years so I have a lot of experience doing it. I bought the parts from the aforementioned Newegg.com.

- Oshyan
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

king_tiger_666

Athlon XP 2000+, a nvidia 7600 gs or gt, series card with 256mb memory would be best bet... probably agp too ....

<a href="www.hobbies.nzaus.co.nz/">My  Terragen Downloads & Gallery</a>

andytw

My suggestion for those who want a fast TG2 machine but can't wait for Intels 45nm CPUs is:

A Q6600 G0 stepping CPU
A motherboard that supports the new 45nm CPUs and at least a 1333MHz FSB (for a bit of future proofing).
2/4/8GB of PC6400 DDR2.
A good CPU cooler.

Why?

Well the Q6600 has a 1066MHz FSB but the GO Stepping seems to be happy to run with an FSB of 1333MHz which gives a CPU speed of 3.0GHz.
More importantly it will (usually) run at this speed without needing additional voltage/excessive cooling.
When used with the above components the Q6600 G0 is effectively a 3.0GHz 1333MHz FSb quad core CPU, which as long as it is cooled adeqately has none of the usual disadvantages of overclocking.
I should point out that even if you are using one of Intels current CPUs, no overclock is guaranteed unless supported by a manufacturers warranty.