Big Ben's terrain sets

Started by bigben, July 01, 2007, 09:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harvey Birdman

Cool. Looking forward to it. I've thought about cleaning up my clip collection, too, but I figured I'd wait till after the next rev release in the hopes there'd be some new macro capability.

:)

bigben

Slowly making some more progress on the new site. Completed the Goosenecks and Monument Valley terrain sets with their various supplementary images. Some of the images are converted to JPEG, but other than that they're the same files I use for my own projects.

• Landcover map
  • Canopy map
  • Roads
  • Hi-res landsat
  • Level 5 blue marble texture (200m res)
  • Slope map
http://www.bigben.id.au/terragen/terrains/usa/monument_valley_terrain.html

Reworking the Grand Canyon set next with a "chain" of 10m terrains to make for a longer high resolution terrain for fly throughs.

Disabled "pretty" permalinks on the site for now because it broke the download manager links... something to look into   :-\

bigben

Construction has begun on another reworked terrain file set. This time I'm extending my Grand Canyon set to allow for longer animations along the Colorado and Little Colorado rivers. 5 x 10 resolution terrains plus a 90m padding terrain so far. I may possibly add an extra 10m terrain at the northern end to extend it up to Lake Powell.  Additional files will be posted as they become available.

<http://www.bigben.id.au/terragen/terrains/grand-canyon-terrain-set.html>

Attached image shows the extent of high resolution data along both rivers. The blue marble texture looks a little odd here because it has a shadow that does not match the lighting angle in the render. It was done purely to demonstrate the size of the terrain set.

bigben

For the one keen person who downloaded the terrain set ;)  there's been a slight change to one of the terrains. West2 has been moved and a new terrain (NW) added to fill a small hole. The screen grab below shows the location of the 6 x 10m terrains. The files are uploading now (including a TGD) and the download page will be ready within the hour.

child@play

perfection is not when there's nothing more to add, it's reached when nothing more can be left out

bigben

They're ready  :)  Slope maps are also up.. landsat will be next.. combined these are really useful for creating a river mask. Given the length of river it may make sense to segment any masks and combine them in a similar way to the terrains. That way you can minimise the area of the mask images (ie RAM usage)

child@play

i'm planning to spend my weekend with this, my gf will be sooo mad at me  ;D
nice dl-speed btw

edit: there seems to be a problem with registering, at least i've got no mail since like 2 days now, i'll try again later this day

#The e-mail could not be sent.
Possible reason: your host may have disabled the mail() function...#

this is the error when trying to fetch a new password, don't have this kind of problems with other websites
perfection is not when there's nothing more to add, it's reached when nothing more can be left out

bigben

Am looking into this one. I've had the same problem.

Landsat images are up now, that should keep you busy.

child@play

just to let you know, everything is working now, thx for fixing this.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: bigben on January 15, 2008, 05:06:47 AM
For the one keen person who downloaded the terrain set ;)  there's been a slight change to one of the terrains. West2 has been moved and a new terrain (NW) added to fill a small hole. The screen grab below shows the location of the 6 x 10m terrains. The files are uploading now (including a TGD) and the download page will be ready within the hour.

Very very cool!
For the patient artist this a really big and fun challenge to texture the whole canyon according to references like google earth, bbc's planet earth and photography.
Great potential in these files, thanks for sharing!

Martin

bigben

Quote from: child@play on January 17, 2008, 12:34:34 PM
just to let you know, everything is working now, thx for fixing this.

Thanks for letting me know about the problem in the first place. now that it's working I'm also getting emails of what's going on...
Big Ben/Brother  ;)

... and shouldn't we be up to "Terragen - get set". It will soon be "Terragen - go!"  :)

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on January 17, 2008, 01:40:53 PM
Quote from: bigben on January 15, 2008, 05:06:47 AM
Very very cool!
For the patient artist this a really big and fun challenge to texture the whole canyon according to references like google earth, bbc's planet earth and photography.
Great potential in these files, thanks for sharing!

And patience may be required ;)  From my own experience if you're just doing single renders from this terrain set I would recommend that you only use the high resolution terrains that you really need. Given that many renders here will include the horizon the render times can get longer if you're looking across a few high resolution terrains. There's probably no point having a 10m terrain that's 40 or more km away, and the padding terrain will still fill any visible gaps....