NASA's World Wind Sloan Sky Survay (Great for stars)

Started by Will, January 14, 2007, 09:48:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

Hey everone it occured to me after reading mayda's topic I thought about it and found that have acces to half the visable stars might be helpful to the community so you can get it at http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/ it comes with World Wind (a google earth like program) also a version that allows you to see Mars and the Moon and the Sloan Sky survay which has everthing you will ever need for a star map, you can even find some galixys if you look close enough ;)
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Dark Fire

NASA World Wind is quite good. I used to use it before Google Earth became popular.

Will

Yes they have added some features but I think the real gem in the program is the sky survay becuase Google earth has done a great job in making satlite photgraphy availble to the public. Nasa still has the sky covered though.

Will

Here I used Mayda's way with a backround found in the Sloan Sky Survay

BPauba

What kind of resolution are you guys using? (For the star images)

Will

mine are all in 1280 by 960 then i blew them up or scaled them down in PS to what even works. Its kind of hard becuase it delpends on what you are trying to acheive, I think for the render I did above the stars are a tad to big so scale it to what you need.

BPauba

Quote from: Will on January 14, 2007, 03:18:55 PM
mine are all in 1280 by 960 then i blew them up or scaled them down in PS to what even works. Its kind of hard becuase it delpends on what you are trying to acheive, I think for the render I did above the stars are a tad to big so scale it to what you need.

Why I am asking is because I can make some starfields for you guys if you would like...

Will

Oh cool,hmmm well maybe 300dpi becuase then they could be used for prints. I dont know really since im not sure exactly how the backround works and whether it scales the imge or just projects its. Any thoughts guys?

Angealus

Used the sloan image for this render. Thanks for the info on the program btw. You can use the sloan imager to move in or out away from the star fields to get as close or as far away from them as you like. The problem lies in the background shader import. You have to move your fov around until you are centered in the starfield.

Will

neat, yes Have you realized that a ton of the stars in the survay seem to be red, weird.

regards

Will

FrankThomas

[tongue firmly in cheek]

Have you never heard of the expansion of the universe and redshift of stars ?

[/tongue firmly in cheek]

Will

yea yea, I just found it intresting. :P

heh

Best regards

Will

Dark Fire

Will