Star Trek

Started by rcallicotte, January 25, 2008, 04:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

old_blaggard

Yup - looking forward to that one :).
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Sethren

I am kinda hoping Abrams pulls this off. I am no Star Trek fan but this might be entertaining for Trek, a vastly different take. At least we no longer have no rely on Berman or Bragga to continue to dominate the already damaged franchise. I'd like to see Abrams take on Star Trek. Nolan's Batman Begins worked as i think IMHO the characters were more believable vs Burton's vision. Don't get me started on Schumacher's vision of Batman.   ::)

Some are complaining about the look of the good ol' Enterprise but my issue with that is that this is no linger the 1960s anymore. Our view of space travel, culture, society, fashion trends, music and architecture had changed so much since then. We can't accept the over-done minimalist look of the original Enterprise. Some things just have to be up-dated for todays audience. It was fine for the 60s but that would not fly today as the classic trek show had reflected the world of the 60s. We certainly can't have space hippies in todays sci-fi, can we?  ;D

The ship looks good and more believable then ever, not a cheap model anymore. I just hope the actors can make for good and convincing take of the old crew. They can never replace Kirk, Spock nor Bones but i'd like to think of there new roles as an homage to the characters and not an exact imitation of them because that is like trying to look for an actor of today to emulate Cary Grant for example, not gonna happen. So it will be interesting to see how these new actors take on there roles for this film.

I have my doubts about pre-equals but then again i said the same about Batman Begins. I just hope Abrams keeps the Rodenberry's vision of a wagon train to the stars ideology. We need the adventurous excitement and suspense with good character chemistry that had been missing in that franchise for a long time now. I tend to think Star Trek III was the last of that element.

rcallicotte

o_b - I don't go to the theatre much.  Rather watch on DVD.  But, this is a grand exception.

Sethren - Abrams is a genius and the actors usually do well following his direction.  If his past work is any indication of what he can do, let's hope he's not lazy.  This could really be sensational. 

Does anyone know who is playing the main roles or is it too soon?  Time to Google.

[edit] Check Wikipedia -  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_%28film%29

Sethren

I heard Cloverfield did well but Mission Impossible 3 did so-so from what i have researched of these two films.

Wiki is out friend.    ;D

rcallicotte

He's written or created -

Mission: Impossible III (2006) (written by)
Alias (2004) (VG) (creator)
"Felicity" (84 episodes, 1998-2002)
Armageddon (1998/I) (screenplay)
Forever Young (1992) (written by) (as Jeffrey Abrams)
Regarding Henry (1991) (written by) (as Jeffrey Abrams)

I might go see Cloverfield.

Sethren

Quote from: calico on January 25, 2008, 11:12:17 PM
He's written or created -

Mission: Impossible III (2006) (written by)
Alias (2004) (VG) (creator)
"Felicity" (84 episodes, 1998-2002)
Armageddon (1998/I) (screenplay)
Forever Young (1992) (written by) (as Jeffrey Abrams)
Regarding Henry (1991) (written by) (as Jeffrey Abrams)

I might go see Cloverfield.

Felicity drove me nuts. I only caught it because i had two sisters around. I have never seen such a confused character in a relationship before.

He wrote the screenplay to Armageddon.    :P

Forever Young and Regarding Henry i both thought were well done and emotionally stirring films.

Alias, blegh!!! I think it's had it's day.   ;D

dhavalmistry

J.J. Abrams is an amazing creator/director/writer.....I just love his work!.....Lost, Alias, Armageddon, Cloverfield....all AMAZING!....and now star trek!.....this is going to be good!
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Oshyan

Armageddon was "amazing"? ;D OK, for what it was intended to be I guess it fulfilled its purpose, but it's hardly cinematic excellence.

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

@Oshyan - It's what Abrams does with the characters.  It's always interesting, if not excellent.  It sort of reminds me of how Elmore Leonard creates this unlikely heroes - always out of the ordinary characters and so are revealed as out of the ordinary in extraordinary circumstances.