Why is this forum so dead on weekends

Started by dhavalmistry, February 02, 2008, 01:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

overlordchuck

I wish I could forge weaponry and whatnot, it's really something I wish I could do.  Alas, I am a teenager in a sleepy neighborhood.  A forge might ruin that  ;)

Also, the odds of accidentally killing myself would be rather high  ;D

Will

The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

rcallicotte

@JimB - Looks like something fun.  I'm sure it's easy to learn a lot, when you're doing these.

@Will - That would be interesting.  A woman I work with is married to a man who does full-blown Civil War re-enactments and even has a cool canon that actually fires from that time period.  I find the Civil War re-enactment thing rather distasteful, though.  Was about the worst time in the U.S.'s history.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Will

Still they are important battles that defined the history of the country.

rcallicotte

True.  I understand that.  Not saying it's wrong.  Just think it's a waste of time.  LOL 

I do understand grasping the importance of history. 

Will

It was a very realistic reenactment, nearly everyone got food poisoning form bad hardtack.  ;D

rcallicotte

Will

rcallicotte

Oh yeah.  I remember now.  Sounds like you enjoyed it. 

Did it make the whole war history seem more realistic and make the objective history stand out?  Which war was it?

Will

civil war, it was not an actual battle more a look at the types of battles through out the war. It was the best final ever though.

rcallicotte

If you're interested, I can try to get more information from the lady I work with about her husband's activities.  He's pretty devoted.

Will

no but thanks, I'll stick to video games but it was fun for the day. Must be interesting for the roman period though huh.

JimB

Quote from: Will on February 03, 2008, 05:24:51 PM
Must be interesting for the roman period though huh.
A thousand years to choose from (two thousand if you count the Byzantine Empire - the Byzantines actually called themselves Roman IIRC), and the basis for most of our modern institutions, yep. I never thought I'd be doing some of the things I have, and every week seems to throw up something that utterly surprises me (superglue, burning braziers for helmet crests, I know I'd rather have been a Roman slave than be one in more recent Europe or the Americas). It gets a bit obsessive, and I must admit to groaning when a Roman soldier walks onto a movie or TV screen; they looked much better than Hollywood fare  ;)  Forget all this nonsense where they acted like 18th-C robots in the field - they could be complete nutcases and act highly independently.
Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

Will

I was going to do a 300 quote but that was Greece.

JimB

Quote from: Will on February 03, 2008, 06:07:36 PM
I was going to do a 300 quote but that was Greece.

;D If it was "Molon Lave" (Come and get them) be careful. The Victorian translation was for polite society it seems. A fairly common Greek insult, and still used today when you want to insult someone by suggesting they perform a certain act. I've also gotten to know some Greek ancient Greek re-enactors.  ;)
Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.