Spirit Lake Log Mat (Test Render)

Started by sonshine777, February 05, 2008, 07:57:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonshine777

Here is a quick test render of Spirit Lake with a population of the log model I created.
Detail 3
AA .3

There are a few collisions of the model in the population but not an overwhelming amount. This is a different POV than the other St Helens image and less developed on the shore.

All in all I think the test was a success.

Will

The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

sonshine777

This is still a small number compared to the original blast in 1980. Over ten million trees were blown into the lake.
Since then some were taken out for lumber and some have sunk to the bottom and began to petrify. Most of the trees that have sunk had the root ball still attached and have planted themselves standing up on the bottom.
So what you have is a forest of trees that is at the bottom of the lake that is petrified, (or well on its way) all in 28 years.

rcallicotte

Pretty cool.  I'd say the logs needs some sort of water flow around them, unless the water is really that still.  Not sure how this could be done, without functions.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

sonshine777

The ripples can be done with an image mask and a displacement shader, which is what I will do when I am satisfied with the logs. This was just a test to see if the model would populate realistically on the water.

dhavalmistry

the log in the left is in the air....lol....
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

rcallicotte

@sonshine777 - Okay.  I see that.  Some things you might consider -

• The fire could be a little less bright
  • The smoke from the volcano could be somewhat less dense

sonshine777

The bright spot I agree and I will be working on it. It will be addressed when I do the closeup surfacing on the mountain.

But the Steam/Smoke actually should be more dense in order to match a plume of that size.

rcallicotte

Sonshine, I understand.  Good point.  And maybe I wasn't expressing clearly that I think the edges of the smoke should be less dense.  Smoke tends to find less density on the outer edges...or maybe I should just look this up on Google Images.

sonshine777

Here is a link to the 2007 review report/visitors guide for the park, it has some good pictures of what it looks like today and some from the original eruption. I am still making it too pretty, which is what I'm trying to fix. I want to make the final look as rugged as it really is. Which means making some models of broken of trees.

http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/mshnvm/volcano-review/downloads.shtml
The whole site is filled with good information about Mt St Helens.

bobbystahr

Good one..well a great start...maybe the logs need a bit of charred texture as at least some should have been burnt...Over all a very good scene and a wonderful log setup...thanx for posting that one...sure to get use in future renders of mine I'll teel ya.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

sonshine777

Quote from: bobbystahr on February 05, 2008, 11:56:32 AM
Good one..well a great start...maybe the logs need a bit of charred texture as at least some should have been burnt...Over all a very good scene and a wonderful log setup...thanx for posting that one...sure to get use in future renders of mine I'll teel ya.. ...

There really wouldn't be much char for three reasons:
1.) The speed of the pyroclastic blast that hit the trees was going somewhere between 200 to 300 mph not giving the tree time to be burnt. The trees that didn't get blown down did burn to some extent; the falling ash snuffed that out after a while.

2.) The logs then got covered in ash after being blown into the lake.

3.) After 27 years of bobbing around in the lake have knocked off any bark or char that might be left.

moodflow

This is really impressive! 

What did you create the logs with?
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

sonshine777

Quote from: moodflow on February 05, 2008, 01:03:52 PM
This is really impressive! 

What did you create the logs with?

Cinema 4D RD8, exported them to 3ds (Cinema 4D RD8 doesn't have a great .obj export, no textures)

I then washed the 3ds file through PoseRay (on the gentle cycle of course ;))

The only thing that I still can't figure out about PoseRay is how to retain the scale of the original. The models are always huge. So I just rescale them in TG2.

bigben

Looking good. Nice reflection on the logs and as you say the intersections aren't that noticeable unless you specifically go looking for them