Storm System

Started by rcallicotte, February 04, 2008, 08:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

This is a combination of the work of Mr. Lampost and Alfamike with hurricanes and tornadoes.  I am not personally happy with the end result.  Maybe using PS instead of Paint.Net will matter to the final.  But, the tornado system has not been able to be fully developed.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

dhavalmistry

funky!....lol...obviously need more work...but you seem to be on the right track!
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

rcallicotte

The bulky cloud is meant to be the beginning of the tornado.  I just simply have figured out no way to make the tornado as we have all seen one in pictures or real life.  The other parts of the sky are okay.  It's just this one area.  How do I stretch it out?

Honestly, the math for this is not something I could have figured out on my own.  These two (Mr. L. and Alfamike) have done a lot here, but that one thing seems to be missing.  Weirdly enough, when applying this work by Mr. Lampost to ground it spirals up like a reverse tornado.

dhavalmistry

probably one of the main reasons of terrain spiraling up is because of the compute normal, but I am not sure....

rcallicotte

Here's the spiral in the terrain.  Now, to make this work in a cloud with greater control...

dhavalmistry

Seth

Mr_Lamppost

The way my hurricane (v2, I am assuming that we are using the convention that Alfamike's is v1), works is that all the nodes doing the math combine to procedural mask having values roughly between zero and one.  This is then used as the Blend Controller of a Merge Shader, which blends between a constant (Clear sky), zero and a standard cloud Density Fractal.  When you apply the output of the math to the terrain as a displacement the areas with a value of one become highly displaced while the areas of zero or not displaced; exactly the same as if you used a grey scale image as the displacement function. 

I don't think there is any way to procedurally lover areas of the base of a cloud layer so am fairly sure that neither version will be able to create the lower portions of a tornado.  I have a couple of very vague ideas of how to do this but doubt I will get the time to try anytime soon.

I assume your initial image is of a v1 tornado below a v2 storm?
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

rcallicotte

@Mr. L - Yes.  v2 under v1.  I have changed a few things in both.  Once I get to the point I'm sure I can do no more, I'll post the TGD for anyone interested.

rcallicotte

All that needs to be done now is to shape this thing.

Tada!  My fat tornado.

I've posted the TGD in the tornado / hurricane thread in the Discussion Forum.