Banding in the sky, still :-(

Started by JohnP, January 15, 2007, 04:53:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Hi folk's, I'm still struggling through the new interface   :-\  so I'm not looking for critism ' yet '. An old problem has arisen, Banding in the sky ( no cloud's ) also the planet in the image has a odd shape   ???  .
Could anyone shed any light on any of the problem's 'please'  Here is the image  http://www.pbase.com/mcr_lad/image/73120170
and the TGD.

Will

The planet looks fine a little my shapen but thats ok, as for the clouds make sure the out put is connected to Planet 1 or what ever planet you are on, also atmosphere is not the same as clouds.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

JohnP

Thanks for the feed back Will, my comment about the cloud's was meant to mean there are no cloud's, a clear sky. I'm wondering if the shape of the planet is affected by the curve of the main terrain.

John.

Will

So are you trying to get get clouds or not? also I think the planets shape is just a bug or just how the light hits it.

Regards,

Will

Tim O'Donoghue

Hey John;

Good to see you made it over here!

I looked at your image and wonder if your monitor is set to 16-bit color instead of 32?  It looks fine on my screen here.  The Planet looks a little odd, but nothing that can't be explained by atmospheric distortion due to the tremendous heat in Monument Valley ... ;D

Tim O

JohnP

Hi Tim, I definitely have 32 bit, ( new monitor also, 19" LCD. ) I thought it may have been low quality in the Atmos. setting's so I pushed that to 150 and it didn't help.
I forgot about the heat in the Valley   :P

Will

John Could you post your .tgd file so that we could take a look?

Regards,

Will

JohnP

Hi Will, the TGD is attached to my first post, and thanks for checking   :)

Will

Will

Well geometicaly the planet is about as round as its going to get, its just a little fish-eye like effect that sometimes happens. Also for clouds as I said clouds and atmosphere are diffrent and to create a cloud you have to right click and choose shaders then go into atmoshere then cloud layer.

Regards,

Will

The Geostation

I think the reason why the moon doesn't look so round is because of the angular orientation of the sun and your camera with respect to the area of light covering the moon.   It's almost as if you are looking over the top of the pole on the moon.

Andrew Randle
The Geostation
Andrew Randle
The Geostation

JohnP

Thanks guy's, I had a feeling the Moon was odd because of it being low on the horizon. Or being affected by the atmosphere   :-\

John.

Oshyan

I'd say the moon distortion is due to the wider-than-normal camera FoV (~90 instead of the default 60). Currently TG doesn't accurately simulate a camera lens so the result will be different than you might expect with a camera (although there you would see distortion too). But you will necessarily see distortion at wider angles, logically speaking.

As for the banding in the atmosphere, well I don't really see it I'm afraid. Have you tried viewing on a different monitor? Do you see banding in other images?

- Oshyan

JohnP

Hi Oshyan, thanks for the feed back. I will have to remember the FoV will not give me the same as a wide angle lens   :)   As for the banding, I have checked some of my old image's ( from TG 0.9* ) which had banding and I still see it. The only thing I have changed in my system is the monitor ( 19 inch LCD ) set for 32 bit. 1280x1024.
Must be something at my end as no one else seems to see it   :-\

John.

3DGuy

Most LCD monitors don't display 32bits. That take it as in input, but can only render alot less colours. This is one of the main reasons I don't want an LCD monitor in the foreseeable future. Photography is another hobby and I work in various resolutions. Combined with the not so accurate colour rendition I prefer to stay with my CRT monitor.