Light Source

Started by rcallicotte, January 14, 2007, 07:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

How do we use a light source to light a single object in a scene.  I haven't seen a spotlight, so I assume we place the light source around the object we want to illumine and do not make it visible.  Is this correct?  Anything we should know about this, such as light strength and shadows?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

John2k6

i've been thinking of a smiliar thing too. i want a light on certain places, but i think there is a spotlight right?

Will

I dont think there is a way to create a spot light yet, but hopefully in future releases
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

gradient

I don't think there is a spotlight yet...but you can position the source center (using a small source radius) close to your object.  Just tried it to light up the underside of an inverted crater....it works!

rcallicotte

Thanks.  I'll try it.  I've been trying to engulf my object in the light itself, thinking it had no direction, but I'm not sure about it yet.  I'll try something smaller.

Can you show your picture of the inverted crater?

gradient

Unfortunately, it is not directional....yup, I'll upload the image in a few minutes...just going for supper now...

Will

I wish I had some Tocos :(...sorry

anyway do you guys know that the output link on a light does?
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

rcallicotte

No idea.  I guess we could hook it up to something and find out.   :P

Quote from: Will on January 14, 2007, 07:52:26 PM
I wish I had some Tocos :(...sorry

anyway do you guys know that the output link on a light does?

gradient

Ok...here is the quick render showing the lit underside of the inverted crater....

rcallicotte

Thanks.  I'm assuming the light source is sitting on the left underside of the foremost mushroom.  Am I right?  Thanks, by the way.  How high did you set the strength?

Quote from: gradient on January 14, 2007, 08:31:34 PM
Ok...here is the quick render showing the lit underside of the inverted crater....

gradient

yes, location is accurate....I just zapped the tgd, but the source radius was quite small, I think in the order of 20 or 30...but the strength was about 700,000

rcallicotte

Wow.  700,000   :o  I can't believe it.  I'll try it.  I'll post the picture here when I'm done.

Thanks.

Quote from: gradient on January 14, 2007, 08:59:55 PM
yes, location is accurate....I just zapped the tgd, but the source radius was quite small, I think in the order of 20 or 30...but the strength was about 700,000

gradient

The strength will depend on the color of your source...also the radius....my source here was a yellow.  I remember trying 900,000 but it blew things out.....200,000 didn't do much.  If you use a straight white light you may be able to get away with lesser strength.

gradient

@calico...so...how did it turn out....or, is it still rendering?

rcallicotte

I gave up.  The light source kept bringing out some weird red colors.  I'll try again on another drawing, since what I'm working on now was more of a priority - trying to make red coals.  I wanted the GI by itself to light the object in my coming picture, but it didn't happen as I planned.  I'm improvising with a low sunrise.  I haven't actually given up on the idea of using another light source, but it will just happen later.