A painful read for Vista users

Started by Harvey Birdman, March 09, 2008, 09:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harvey Birdman

All you folks who shelled out bucks for Vista will cringe when you read this!

;D

reck

Thats the IT world for you. I've purchased laptops, monitors, other software apps etc in the past only to see their price drop within a few months after i've purchased them. So for a price drop to appear over a year after owning the software doesn't seem to bad.

I did think Vista was way to expensive though and even with the price drop I still think it's a bit on the expensive side.

JimB

I think the main point of the story is that some of Microsoft's own executives sounded the alarms about their own brand new machines being rendered next to useless by "upgrading" to Vista, but Microsoft soldiered on and decided to fix the problems later rather than sooner. Unfortunately for consumers this has meant they've sometimes been left with $2k+ email machines after installing Vista (to quote one of the said Microsoft executives).
Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

Harvey Birdman

Exactly, Jim. And the potential end cost to MS has yet to be calculated - if their appeal of the class action status of the lawsuit fails, the sky is the freakin' limit - every person who was screwed by misleading marketing crap is a plaintiff (even their own execs!  :D  ) and if they add punitive damages and the like, I bet it'd make the EU's latest penalty look totally trivial. And then there's the damage to their reputation, like the article noted at the end.

Bummer, huh?   ;)    :D

Cyber-Angel

I read a similar version of this story on the Register.com, my feeing at the time for the lowering of the price point (Adjusted for Regional Market Segments) was simply to encourage people to buy Vista due to poor sales (Apparently and this was some time ago, The Vole pulled Vista form China as only Twenty Five Units where sold in that market) also in a survey conducted last year among 200 IT Managers in the US when asked weather their organization plained to deploy Vista if I remember some thing (And this is form memory) like 95% said that their organization would either not be or had no plains to deploy Vista, as they had legacy systems built around windows NT and 2000.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel  ;D   

rcallicotte

It would be nice to end this debacle by making a PC OS with standards that must pass government inspection, similar to the FDA except without the corruption. 
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

joshbakr

Quote from: calico on March 09, 2008, 01:22:08 PM
It would be nice to end this debacle by making a PC OS with standards that must pass government inspection, similar to the FDA except without the corruption. 

OMG NO!  Talk about Spyware!   :o

rcallicotte

;D

Quote from: joshbakr on March 09, 2008, 01:26:13 PM
Quote from: calico on March 09, 2008, 01:22:08 PM

OMG NO!  Talk about Spyware!   :o

efflux

The future is Linux. Yes, people have been saying this for years but it's true. I have two PCs here. Abit IC7-Gs (great boards) with PIV HT 3.0 GHz CPUs. These systems are still great and about 6 years old. I tried Vista and it told me my hardware was not powerful enough to run certain UI functions. Rubbish. My graphics cards are fine. I installed Linux and it performed fantastically. In fact with each upgrade of Ubuntu and various apps these systems is actually getting faster! Better code better performance not more bloat. Vista is not enough of an upgrade from XP. I thought XP was a great upgrade because 98 was terrible but Vista simply does not go far enough. People aren't upgrading they way they did with XP. My main system is actually a Mac but I'l go quad core 64bit Linux soon. This will fly.

Will

The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

mr-miley

Well said Will. What more could any one want than good old DOS. This newfangled windows 3.1 will never take off, who needs it  ;D

Miles
I love the smell of caffine in the morning

Cyber-Angel

Quote from: mr-miley on March 10, 2008, 05:51:07 AM
Well said Will. What more could any one want than good old DOS. This newfangled windows 3.1 will never take off, who needs it  ;D

Miles

¿Oh I know who needs operating systems any way? Let all computers have analog card readers and every one learn to write programs that can be put on punch cards and then let the computer read the program (shouldn't take more then a hundred for a simple letter) one card at a time while where at it shouldn't we go back to calling computers terminals and oh yes throw away our color monitors and go back to using 8bit black on green. No thank you sounds like a nightmare to me.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel  ;D       

Harvey Birdman

Hey, you're talking to someone who actually remembers punched tape readers.   :D  And all those little punched out bits of paper were collected in a 'bit bucket' that sat under the readers...

I just upgraded the hard drive on my laptop. Amazing - 120gig in something that would fit in a shirt pocket.

Back when I got out of school I went to work for Bell Labs. I was doing development work on early functional ATE systems. These machines used Control Data Corp. hard drives. These drives weighed ~150 pounds, were incredibly noisy, and used removable disk packs ~3 inches thick and about ~20 inches across.   (That's 2.54 cm to the inch - you do the math.)  These disk packs had this big honking handle on the top that you would lift till it was perpendicular to the housing, then lift the disk out of the drive.

That massive disk pack had 10 meg of storage. It would take 12,000 of them to hold as much as that little laptop hd. 12,000!!! That would fill my house, the shed out back, the garage... if I had a pool I could probably fill that, too.

Un freaking believable.

:)

rcallicotte

Paper tape boot rolls are the only way to have an OS.  7KRAM.  We're flying.

Harvey Birdman

Abacus. Gimme an abacus and let the computers go to hell.

;D    ;D    ;D