Light Source

Started by rcallicotte, January 14, 2007, 07:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

Here is what I came up with (also posted another topic on a similar subject - No Sunlight with Alternate Lighting), after putting the light source strength to 6e+006.  The light is very soft violet.  I made the light source visible.

Fun stuff.

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

gradient

Yes, looks like you've got it working now....
For your red hot coals...try the same thing with an invisible red light source just above the coals....use a small radius with high strength....

rcallicotte

gradient - thanks.  I'm wondering about using luminosity for the coals.  Maybe combining both would help, but coals are something that burn from within, right?  I'm still struggling with getting the look, but love what we can do with the source lights. 

gradient

@calico...burning from within...yes, and its something I'm playing with right now...I'll also try luminosity as well...

gradient

@calico....it's a start....didn't turn out too good, but here it is...I'll play some more when I have time.

gradient

Well, here's an interesting one....TG2 water apparently does have some transparency.  Here is some underwater glow...same scene as above but flooded with water and changed camera angle.....

Angealus

Nice work Gradient!!! Love the water effect. ;D

Will

Neat, What if you put it inside a cloud?

Regards,
Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

rcallicotte

Maybe this is what I'm after - using the source light.  I've been focusing on luminosity instead.

gradient

@will...tried it inside a cloud...really need very very high strengths to get anything to show up because it has little to reflect off.  Seems using a sun as a lightsource would be best in this scenario (in a cloud)...then turn down the strength.

rcallicotte

Light source inside of purple water (inverted crater) set to 1e+008.  Sun on the horizon is set to strength = 1.  Transparency will be fun to play with, when it comes.  If I build it, they will...never mind.  :P

Oshyan

Very cool results everyone. The light source options are definitely a bit limited right now. We hope to add additional light types in the future as well as options to control lighting and shadowing per object.

- Oshyan

Sethren

What about lighting color ramp fall off? I think that maya has a similar feature. This is where you can have the core light a white for example and then it falls off to an orange color, then to a blue until the color gradient fades to 100% transparency.

Hard and soft shadow mixes?

Oshyan

All nice options but I'm not sure we'll be able to provide any of them, at least not in the initial TG2 commercial release. We're concentrating on features that are useful to landscape rendering so if something seems particularly suited or important to realistic landscapes, expect it to be implemented sooner. Ultimately we intend to provide good interoperability support with other generalized 3D applications and this may be the best approach to getting complex functions like that, rather than hoping they'll be implemented in TG2.

- Oshyan

Sethren

Basically the idea behind a color ramp fall off could be useful for a lens flair or blooming effect around any given light source or a sun/s. No big deal really, just a silly idea. One can always post work stuff like this in a external lens flair editor for example. I agree the first priority is terrains.    :)

A single wish, procedural erosion (Fluvial-Thermal-Glacial), the gold of terrains!      ;D