Asteroid Group Builder

Started by rcallicotte, March 17, 2008, 12:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

This will create asteroid groups or fields.  This is for PC only.  It is in Beta and so I already know about the following -

The node groups created still need to be neater.

The more asteroids, the slower your machine will go. 

By choosing to increase the group size, you will increase the amount of time the program runs.  A lot.  Be patient and you will be happy you waited.

The farther out your asteroid group, the more unpredictable the asteroid group's behavior.  Two behaviors I know about at greater distances - lighting decreases and the asteroids within the group spread out more.

Have fun.  This program is a step toward creating something; not the actual final creation.  Use it as a step gap. 
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Tangled-Universe

Cool work mate!
I'm personally not really interested in creating orbital renders but it might be useful for other purposes as well.
So thanks for developing this and sharing it with us! ;D

Martin

rcallicotte

Thanks, TU.

It basically creates groups of asteroids at various heights.  Almost deep space included.

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on March 17, 2008, 02:26:13 PM
Cool work mate!
I'm personally not really interested in creating orbital renders but it might be useful for other purposes as well.
So thanks for developing this and sharing it with us! ;D

Martin

AndyWelder

Thank you!
Hnmh.... could this be used as a replacement for the sphere object populator that doesn't seem to work?.... Let's try...
*Andy is off to TG2 land*
"Ik rotzooi maar wat aan" Karel Appel

dandelO

Just downloaded this Calico and got this message on my first startup(see attatchment), any ideas?

rcallicotte

I can see you ran this from inside the zip.  Extract it first and then run it from Windows

dandelO

Same thing again. I assume it's a problem at my end, no-one else seems to have had it.
Cheers anyway, man. It looks like a promising little app, I'll go through my machine with the nitcomb and try again...

*Edit*

Once the error message appears and I click 'close', the tgd-xml process is still running in my task manager until I end it there too, odd. ???

rcallicotte

dandelO, I did some testing on another computer without incident, but I haven't done any thorough testing.  Would you mind giving me a screenshot of that error message?

dandelO

No need for another screenshot, Calico, it's just the same as the first one I posted... 'TGD-XML has encountered a problem and needs to close', but it doesn't start in the first place to close, if you know what I mean. Like it's some sort of twisted splash screen,  :D
I click on the close button on the message but the application process is apparently still running.

rcallicotte

@DandelO, do me a favor.  Would you re-download the zip and then unzip it before using it?  It might have been corrupted the first time.

If you have time for this, let me know if it's the same ol' same ol' and and I'll look into it further.  Don't have a lot to go on at this point.

lightning

thats realy cool thanks mate
will give it a try ;D

matrix2003

This works very nicely, thank you!   :)
-MATRIX2003-      ·DHV·  ....·´¯`*

Marcos Silveira

Hey, it's run within the program??? If so, how!!!!!!

rcallicotte

Nope.  It just runs and creates a TGC file for you, based upon the name you give it (like calico.TGC).  You can then add the clip file inside of TG2.

Remember - the higher the settings the longer the creation time.  But, be patient.  It'll give you plenty of asteroids to work with, whether small or larger settings.