Encouraging a user gallery!

Started by RealUser, January 10, 2007, 05:03:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RealUser

Hi Folks, Planetsiders,

I think it would be great to have a user gallery on Planetside! I know there are some vital galleries out there, but a gallery on Planetside could draw some more attention to the site and respectively to TG2.
Markus / RealUser
visit my Renderosity Gallery at
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?username=RealUser

Njen

Agreed. I think it would be great to have a collected place for finished images.

Cyber-Angel

I am not so sure, while in theory a gallery here maybe a good collective place for TG2 art work; there are so many good gallery sites already like Ashundar, Renderosity and Terranuts. There are other ways to bring attention to both this site and to Terragen its self, for example submission to and positive reviews by the major software review sites and magazines (Such as 3d World Magazine in the UK).

Strong brand identification and product awareness across the software community and also the general public who may not be aware of Terragen.

Starting an education programme and get Terragen into schools and universities and vary long term have an out reach programme for the disaffected youth and give them opportunities.

The idea being that if you support the community they in turn will support you; this in turn is good for business which in turn allows for growth and expansion.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel 

Dark Fire

I agree with Cyber-Angel. Also, a gallery here would drain bandwidth, chew up space, and would probably be filled with a lot of rubbish and/or very similar items. However, I think a TG2 animation gallery could be justified because animations take too long to render for many people to bother with them, and therefore the animations are much more likely to be worthy of being viewed by many people.

RealUser

OK, there are some Terragen related galleries and some of them are pretty nice places to show your artwork. I don't think that a gallery would slow down this forum. Take a look at Ashundar or the like. Everything is pretty fast there. Regarding chewing up space: This isn't really a problem, is it? And, by the way, animations chew up much more hd-space than images. Harddisks are pretty cheap, even I have a 250Gig-HD in my pc. So, space isn't a problem. To avoid "rubbish", I would call it beginners work, a simple structure with beginners, medium, advanced, pro or so would give you a hint how to rate the image you are viewing.
The education programm idea is worth a thought by Planetside. There are many ways to provide such educational informations: Day by day lessons on the webpage, video tutorials, .pdf-files for download, collections of user-tutorials (would need a standard layout) or a printed (on demand) book. TG2 could be bundled with a beginner tutorial and teachers equipment (dvd with animations, greetings from PLanetside team; images and the like) for school classes with a discount. This works very well, as we have seen in the 90s by Apples school programme.
Markus / RealUser
visit my Renderosity Gallery at
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?username=RealUser

Dark Fire

I am aware of the fact that animations use more space than pictures, but relative to the time it takes to render them, the animations take up much less.

Quote from: RealUser on January 11, 2007, 06:31:41 AM
...even I have a 250Gig-HD in my pc.
Imagine the amount of space needed if lots of users started uploading every image they have ever rendered. Although this is not very likely, you do have to plan for the worst.

To avoid "rubbish", I would call it beginners work, a simple structure with beginners, medium, advanced, pro or so would give you a hint how to rate the image you are viewing.
That's a good idea, but you might need to limit the amount of beginners work on the gallery - there are, and always will be, lots of beginners compared to every other suggested group.

The education programm idea is worth a thought by Planetside. There are many ways to provide such educational informations: day by day lessons on the webpage, video tutorials, .pdf-files for download, collections of user-tutorials (would need a standard layout) or a printed (on demand) book. TG2 could be bundled with a beginner tutorial and teachers equipment (dvd with animations, greetings from Planetside team; images and the like) for school classes with a discount. This works very well, as we have seen in the 90s by Apples school programme.
A great idea. Perhaps some sort of coursework-based UK qualification that needs Terragen could be invented. For example, Steinberg have cleverly influenced the Music Technology A-Level so that some version of Cubase is virtually a necessity (the person who wrote most of the current syllabus and the next syllabus, and who is currently the head examiner, says he works for Setinberg).

Cyber-Angel

While I like the Criteria selection for user art as suggested be RealUser I do think that we should be vary careful before we embark down this road, as if the rules are to strict any official gallery here could end up as another Elfwood and that is some thing that would spread round the Internet vary, vary quickly.

My education idea must be for all levels of Education from K-12 (Kindergarten for those parts of the world that use this term) through to University and Corporate training levels as well as self paced tutorials.

This education programme should be implemented in such away that is an officially recognized qualification at national level (Local Education Authorities or equivalent, local FX houses etc), International Level (Recognized as a proper education program and qualification that can be used any where in the world like a PhD).

You could target non traditional areas of education such as Prison (Penitentiary for those in the USA) and young offenders insertions due to the fact that people with a stable full time job that they enjoy makes them less likely to offend again.

When people go to a website to find out information about a new peace of software they expect to see video tutorials on its features and once they have seen it in action they find once they download it that the GUI is far less intimidating.

If people want to continue this further (The education program that is) I will open another post for it.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel

king_tiger_666

if i see someone whos added their website here i generally click the linky to have a look at their terragen gallery... some a quite good... perhaps a way to link our galleries to terragen? that might save bandwidth for planetside?

<a href="www.hobbies.nzaus.co.nz/">My  Terragen Downloads & Gallery</a>

MeltingIce

If we could somehow set up a way to submit links to our galleries that would be awesome.  My TG 0.9 gallery has 196 renders in it and I really wouldn't want to re-upload all of them to another site  :P  I use the so-aptly-named Gallery program to manage my online gallery: http://gallery.meltingice.net/main.php/v/terragen/

MeltingIce Network | Wii Number: 3881 9574 8304 0277

MeltingIce

Actually I just set up a gallery where people from this forum can upload their renders if they want.  I will keep it up and running depending on how popular this becomes.  You can access it here: http://terragen.meltingice.net  Just click the Users link at the top right and register in order to upload your images.  Right now I would like to keep it only Terragen 0.9 and Terragen 2 renders.

ozijon

Hi i have signed up in your gallery and i cant upload my pics i tryed bmp and jpg and they say wrong format what should it be in Thank you
                                         John

MeltingIce

Quote from: ozijon on January 14, 2007, 05:34:02 AM
Hi i have signed up in your gallery and i cant upload my pics i tryed bmp and jpg and they say wrong format what should it be in Thank you
                                         John
Hmm... I'm not sure what is wrong.  How large are the images you are trying to upload?  .jpg is the preferred format.

ozijon

hi im still getting the same
                                       as is:File 1 is not an acceptable format
                                               Process complete!
i'm loading jpg  640 BY 480    I DONT UNDERSTAND I tryed doing 3 then just one still no luck should it be bigger or smaller   thanks
                  John

3DGuy

@RealUser: Server hardware is a bit more expensive than your average PC hardware. Aside from that you don't just plunk a 250 gig drive into a server. You need at least 2 or 3 and run the configuration in a RAID configuration. Not so much for speed, but for reliability. Then there's the backup solution. Backup that amount of data reliable is not cheap. Then there's the bandwidth cost. If you have a very popular server you're gonna see huge amounts of data on the line. Depending on how popular you probably need to use more servers with load balancing to keep it all going otherwise it would slow down to a crawl.

Using a single HD server without backup plans is is ok for home purposes but for serious internet serving there's a bit more to it than that. With the pricetag that comes with it.

Will

Quote from: ozijon on January 15, 2007, 01:16:41 AM
hi im still getting the same
                                       as is:File 1 is not an acceptable format
                                               Process complete!
i'm loading jpg  640 BY 480    I DONT UNDERSTAND I tryed doing 3 then just one still no luck should it be bigger or smaller   thanks
                  John

I asume you registered so it could be that it could be a server error. Or it could be that the file is corrupt (not likely though).

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.