Waiting for my New System to Arrive.

Started by rmfrase, March 28, 2008, 09:47:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmfrase

I can't hardly wait.  It's on it's way and should be here tomorrow.

My new system comprises (2) 2ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5405 Processors with each processor's L2 Cache at 2x6MB.

Even though Terr is not yet designed for Multi-Core processors, it should run smotther and faster than my other systems
a 3.06 Ghz P4HT and a 2.8Ghz 64bit system.

With the amount of memory that I have comming with it, I should have no trouble running at least (2) halves of an image on each processor.

We'll see....   ;D

old_blaggard

Wow, that sounds like quite a system!  When the multithreaded version is ready for release, you're going to get some insane render speeds :).
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Harvey Birdman

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

rmfrase

>:(
ARrrrrrgh !!  FedEx has it marked for Delivery Next Business Day !!!!  Arrrrgh....!

So, now it won't arrive until Monday.

This ALWAYS HAPPENS!! 

Anyway, it will be a sweet system.  Dell Precision T7400 Workstation.  Set me back $2,600 U.S with extra processor and memory. 

joshbakr

Sounds Great! Just hope your new system doesn't go obsolete before tg2 Comes out.  ;) ;) ;) ;D

rmfrase

;D   Are you Kidding?  I'm sure that it's already Obsolete!! hehehe,  It was probably obsolete when the advertised it as "New" on the Dell site.

;D

rmfrase

It's here and it is sweet!  Ran the Benchmark test at 0:03:42.  My 1st system took 0:09:55.  The other unit was working on a another project.

http://tg2bench.kk3d.de/index.htm

regards,
-Robert

Matt

Expect that to be well under a minute with multi-threaded TG :)

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

cyphyr

Ah ha !! ;)
If we knew the spec of the first machine (hint ) then we could, albeit very roughly, reccon the speed increase multi threading will potentially give us. Yes I know theres plenty of variables and I'm clutching at straws.
So what was your first machines spec please?
Thanks
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Matt

Robert said he had two other systems: a 3.06 Ghz P4HT and a 2.8Ghz 64bit system.

Actually I'm surprised that these take nearly 10 minutes to render the benchmark. I would expect it to be closer to 6 minutes (7 at the most) if the system is running well.

Matt

joshbakr

Quote from: Matt on April 01, 2008, 01:41:44 PM
Robert said he had two other systems: a 3.06 Ghz P4HT and a 2.8Ghz 64bit system.

Actually I'm surprised that these take nearly 10 minutes to render the benchmark. I would expect it to be closer to 6 minutes (7 at the most) if the system is running well.

Matt

Yeah I can verify that. I'm running a home built P4 3.2 Gig with Hyper Threading (Enabled) 4 Gig of Ram and the Benchmark tgd rendered in 6 min. 24 sec.

rmfrase

I re-ran the Benchmark on the 3.06Ghz P4HT and "turned off" quite a few programs that had been running in the back ground.  The Benchmark time improved to 0.08.12

A little better.

Aslo, on the new T7400, of the 8 Xeon cores available, the One core running the test showed only a 12% CPU load.  ;D

All I've got to do now is add more memory.  From what I remember, this system can hold up to 32Gb Memory, but I haven't yet opened the case to see how many memory slots are available.  Currently I have just 2Gb. 

Until the Multi-Thred is available, and with additional memory I should be able to run multiple TG's each once... ?

Matt

Quote from: rmfrase on April 02, 2008, 08:52:18 AM
Until the Multi-Thred is available, and with additional memory I should be able to run multiple TG's each once... ?

Yes.

moodflow

Sounds like a great rendering platform.  I am also looking for a similar (or same) system.

What OS are you using?  I think XP may have some constraints, especially when it comes to the memory.
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music