Function based grid for populations

Started by Ogre, April 01, 2008, 03:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ogre

I have been working on a function based grid to try and place populations in neat rows. Needs work but here it is so far.
"If you find me feeding daisies
please turn my face up to the sky and leave me be watching the moon roll by.
What ever I was it was all because I've been on the town washing the BS down."

-Gordon Lightfoot

mogn

Another way, without trig function, and without conditional.  8)

bobbystahr

mogn...got a clip file for that one...looks interesting.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Ogre

I tried it out and it wokrs great. No object overlapping that I can see. To get the grid I wanted I set the first constant to 5 (tighter spacing) and the last to 50 (Small dots). I needed to set the object spacing to 0.1 to get the object coverage I needed.

-Gordon Lightfoot

Harvey Birdman

Sweet!   :)

I'm kicking around an idea for something along thses lines. I'm thinking of a shader that would create a checkerboard effect, with optional lines separating the blocks. It could be used to create a large-scale farm field effect, with optional hedgerows separating the fields. I'll post it into this thread when I get it working the way I want.   :)

mogn

Thanks Ogre! Neet trick "complement colour", its nearer the original

mogn

Quote from: Harvey Birdman on April 02, 2008, 03:54:19 PM
Sweet!   :)

I'm kicking around an idea for something along thses lines. I'm thinking of a shader that would create a checkerboard effect, with optional lines separating the blocks. It could be used to create a large-scale farm field effect, with optional hedgerows separating the fields. I'll post it into this thread when I get it working the way I want.   :)

A simple Checkerbord without fences!

rcallicotte

Wow.  This is an awesome thread.  Thanks for your efforts and letting us in on it.  This looks very promising.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Ogre

Quote from: mogn on April 03, 2008, 01:36:29 AM
Thanks Ogre! Neet trick "complement colour", its nearer the original

I made one more change. I added in function to limiot the x and z distribution.  This way you can make distinct rectangular groups and merge them together with a merge shader and apply them to the 1 population.  This would be useful if setting up several cornfields or army groups.

-Gordon Lightfoot