Square Sun

Started by StickerSticker, January 14, 2007, 07:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StickerSticker

This'll be the second time it's happened, and I'll post it up once it's finished rendering. But for some reason one of my suns is square.

see how it's square?

Will

try increacing the disk radius

regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

StickerSticker

I believe the radios on that one is same as the yellow one near the bottom. But i'll try, ty.

Oshyan

Interesting. Can you provide a .tgd example file?

- Oshyan

StickerSticker

yep

The Geostation

Maybe it is the angle or the glow power, but there is not much atmospheric glow around that sun either.

Andrew Randle
The Geostation
Andrew Randle
The Geostation

Will

Quote from: The Geostation on January 19, 2007, 08:44:53 AM
Maybe it is the angle or the glow power, but there is not much atmospheric glow around that sun either.

Andrew Randle
The Geostation

Yea I was wondering about that, maybe it has somthing to do with the color and hows its absorbed.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Oshyan

Quite honestly I think you've just hit on a particular combination of disc size, brightness and render resolution that produces a square for the intended circle, given the low brightness settings (which affect glow that will usually help smooth out the edges). Although other lights do have the same disc size, it's the combination of that and brightness which currently controls glow strength which is ultimately resulting in this issue.

Imagine for example a small sun that turned out to a 4 pixel disc in the sky at a given render resolution - it would necessarily have to be square; that would be the most correct shape. Circles in computer displays are always an approximation, sometimes a very bad one. This is usually dealt with most effecitvely by antialising. Here the problem may be simply due to the extreme brightness of light sources, which currently isn't handled as well as it should be. So I'm not sure this is actually "correct", it may be a bug, but simply adjusting render resolution does fix/change it, so it would seem to be pretty particular settings that cause this and it's probably some kind of rounding or accuracy issue if anything.

Anyway I'd suggest slightly changing the disc size to fix it for now. You can expect improved antialiasing options implemented in the future to likely address this sort of thing.

- Oshyan

StickerSticker