Has anyone tested TG2 on vista??

Started by edlo, January 18, 2007, 10:30:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

Thanks, gradient.  Great article...although I haven't read it all.  It sounds like MS is biting off more than it can chew.  Time to look at the Mac, I guess.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Dark Penguin

I have tried TG2 on Vista Ultimate (the final build to be released on the 31st) and it works fine.  I have not run into any problems with it so far.
It does seem to be abit more sluggish than xp (Athlon X2 4400+ @ 2.6Ghz)...

Dark Fire

Quote from: Dark Penguin on January 19, 2007, 12:10:01 AM
I have tried TG2 on Vista Ultimate (the final build to be released on the 31st) and it works fine.  I have not run into any problems with it so far.
Probably that discombobulated tightened security slowing it down...

edlo

Quote from: buchvecny on January 18, 2007, 04:04:32 PM
lol yeah... i dont actually get people who bought Vista so early. It doesnt make sense, all hackers are waiting for the same moment.

Nobody has bought vista already since its not out yet ;)
And you know of hacker activity how? I know for a fact that a good "Hacker" certainly does not need you to have a Windows vista rig to get into your system, advanced hacking its done on Unix systems and this community is proud when they get root on a unix server, certainly any XP machine does not represent a problem to any advanced "Hacker" it is simply of no interest to them. Now if you keep important credit card info unsecured inside your rig well it doesn't matter what flavor of OS you are running you are just asking for it. So vista or not what keeps you safe its your brain and common sense.
Cheers.

Will

I get what yuor saying but what I think he was implying was that Windows' built-in secerity sucks.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

edlo

Quote from: Dark Penguin on January 19, 2007, 12:10:01 AM

Thanks a bunch man 1st hand experience finally ;)  So you installed Vista on this rig you mention? (Athlon X2 4400+ @ 2.6Ghz)
may I ask about the Video card and ram?

Will

Edlo I think there was anouther thread talking about Vista with anouther first hand responce ill see if I can dig it up for you.

Regards,

Will

edlo

Quote from: Will on January 19, 2007, 02:21:42 PM
Edlo I think there was anouther thread talking about Vista with anouther first hand responce ill see if I can dig it up for you.

Regards,

Will

Thanks M8  ;D

Will

Quote from: Torkain on December 23, 2006, 02:49:21 AM
I'm not sure what exactly was causing this error, but I had no idea it was really an error until just now. I was running Vista RC2 (x86 version) and the preview pane of T2D never displayed the atmosphere properly. It was always just a random mess of polygons (half of them missing) that never accurately displayed what was going on. I would always have to render the scene to see what the atmosphere looked like.

I just switched back to XP last night because nVidia's lack of SLI support in Vista was getting really old. When I loaded up T2D just now, I saw the atmosphere display perfectly fine. I'm guessing it was Vista+T2D as I can't see why it would have been an issue with the graphic card driver, everything else displayed perfectly fine; only the atmosphere was messed up.

Is anyone else running Vista RC2 that was running into that problem? Or anyone running Vista RTM to see if maybe whatever was causing the issue was fixed? I figured I'd bring this up since by the time T2D is finished, Vista will probably be the standard OS. (or about to be)

Here you go not exactly about Vista but it Vista related.

Regards,

Will

Dark Penguin

I did not notice anything odd happening with the atmosphere, but I am back on my xp install (dual boot) due to my bogged down install of xp being faster than vista :(
I might go back to vista tonight, so post any questions you might have.

As for specs,

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon X2 4400+ @ 2.6
1gb Corsair Dual Channel DDR400
Nvidia 6800 Ultra PCI-E (128mb I believe)
250gb SATA (Vista)
320gb SATA (XP)

Its getting a bit outdated, but should still be good for another year or so.

edlo

Quote from: Dark Penguin on January 19, 2007, 03:10:38 PM
I did not notice anything odd happening with the atmosphere, but I am back on my xp install (dual boot) due to my bogged down install of xp being faster than vista :(
I might go back to vista tonight, so post any questions you might have.

As for specs,

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon X2 4400+ @ 2.6
1gb Corsair Dual Channel DDR400
Nvidia 6800 Ultra PCI-E (128mb I believe)
250gb SATA (Vista)
320gb SATA (XP)

Its getting a bit outdated, but should still be good for another year or so.

If the card its 128 maybe that is it, cause the open GL preview its Vid RAM thirsty :) and Aero also so you have the OS and TG2   fighting for it.

Dark Penguin

Quote from: edlo on January 19, 2007, 04:20:51 PM
If the card its 128 maybe that is it, cause the open GL preview its Vid RAM thirsty :) and Aero also so you have the OS and TG2   fighting for it.

I meant the whole OS is sluggish, tg2 actually seemed to go a little faster on vista...  ???

So the preview is vid card based, and the final render is only cpu? Or is it both? (just hoping both - I am getting an ati x1900 soon  ;D)

Oshyan

Preview and final render are both CPU-driven as far as speed goes. The preview does make use of basic OpenGL for display, which is what sometimes causes issues with its visual output I believe. But it doesn't really make use of any specific acceleration features or OpenGL 2.0 shading features.

- Oshyan

Cyber-Angel

Can I ask what features of Open-GL are and are not supported in Terragen at this time, and would fuller implementation of Open-GL be considered for the future? I realise that there maybe some features of the Open-GL specification that may not be relevant to what TG2 and latter maybe trying to achieve but it would be nice to know the current state of play.

Other applications have full Open-GL ;D so its seems a little odd that an application of the Power and sophistication of TG2 would only have a basic implementation of it. I have heard before of issues with Open-GL previews been slow to update and other such problems and in the past these issues have been picked up and been talked about in the software review press and would erg that if any such issues exist now that they be dealt with now, if they are not being so already (Positive product image perception equates to more units sold).

The aforementioned security feature in Vista (Also in XP 64bit) is called "Patch Guard" which I believe prevents software form modifying the Kernel of the software or some thing like that.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel