Daybreak in the Swamps

Started by nikita, May 11, 2008, 01:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikita

Hi all, :)

I finished a  62h render today... voilĂ :

A 1280*800 version can be found > here <.

It's my first proper render with TP3. The project itself is already some months old, but it would always crash when I tried to render it with TP2. I originally made it for the german Terragen Contest.

I'm often thinking that people should use far more than one population.. ::) So I basically flooded the whole scene with objects. But of course I didn't make all those myself, so here's a list :)
Pines, ferns, grass and groundstuff: Walli. When I compiled this list, I was surprised that half of the objects I used were Walli's. Those are really good. No fancy stuff but highly realistic objects :)
Cleavers: XFrog Sampler. I can't show you one in the final image, but judging from the tgd, there have to be some of them somewhere!
Grass: Klas. Nice general purpose grass.
Eucalyptus, bushes: Divinity Digital (aka lightning). The tree on the left-hand side wasn't planned, the populator just put it there.. but I'm fine with that. :)
Shack: Medievalworlds The rule of the contest was that we had to use this object.

Here's some more information if you're interested:
- I used a reflective shader instead of a water shader
- This image consists of 22 populations and single objects
- There's no botanical accuracy in here
- The mist is a cloud layer using aggressive acceleration, it's density function is 1
- Detail: 0.8, AA 3, GI 1;1
- Atmosphere samples: 24; Cloud samples: 33
- Raytraced shadows are active in atmosphere and cloud layer
- It took 62h to render on a core 2 duo 6300
- I drew a quick sketch of the scene before actually starting to work on the project
- Here's a making-of: http://nkdev.de/nkblog/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/sumpfmakingoff.jpg

Oshyan

Simply suberb. One of the best TG2 vegetation renders I've seen. Only the bark on the foreground tree on the left detracts a bit (too shiny) and smooth. The variety in vegetation and atmospheric lighting are particularly excellent.

P.S. There is a fern sticking through the tree lower-left. Damn, it ruins that little bit. Maybe could be fixed with a crop render?

- Oshyan

nikita

I removed the fern with photoshop.

gregsandor

lightning

this is realy nice nikita lovely mood i realy like the pine trees! :)

to fix that shiny bark follow take a look at this
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=3693.0

or you can just reduce the specular intensity in the default shaders of all the assigned bark textures

Seth

very very good ! love the mood and the composition ! great job

old_blaggard

Beautiful lighting!  I agree with the comments above.  Fantastic work!
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

zhotfire

Impressive! Love the lighting. :)  If I had to be picky about anything, it'd be the water. The mood evokes a sense of stillness that the water doesn't quite reflect (no pun intended) ;)

Phylloxera

Beautiful composition. Very good vegetation. The lighting is superb !

joshbakr

As everyone said superb Image, especially the lighting. My only suggestion would be to calm down the wave action and make it completely still. Then the reflections of the building and trees would really add interest.

Will

Quote from: joshbakr on May 11, 2008, 08:04:53 AM
As everyone said superb Image, especially the lighting. My only suggestion would be to calm down the wave action and make it completely still. Then the reflections of the building and trees would really add interest.

I agree, great job btw
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

nvseal

Wow, absolutely fantastic job. The lighting, vegitation, and atmosphere are all superb. Image of the week.

rcallicotte

Fine work!  Looks better than anything I've seen on this level with models in TG2.  Great work!
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Seth

Quote from: joshbakr on May 11, 2008, 08:04:53 AM
My only suggestion would be to calm down the wave action and make it completely still. Then the reflections of the building and trees would really add interest.

totally agree with that !!!

nikita

Thank you for your comments  :)

Ok, I'll render a version with calm water... I'll just use the Quad upstairs... that should speed things up. ;D
But I'm not sure about the eucalyptus. I like it.. it's a bit distracting but I usually consider random placement to be the most realistic option. I guess I could just use a different seed.