Modo vs. XSI - General and Objective Points of View

Started by rcallicotte, May 14, 2008, 03:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

I know what can happen, but I'm not interested in nitpicking.  What I am interested in hearing, if you would give a little of your time, would be to hear what differences you see if you have used both Modo and XSI.  Modo seems very unstable presently and I'm wondering about issues like stability and ease of interface, etc. from your experience. 

I'd ask the same thing for Maya or Autodesk 3DStudio, but I don't have thousands and thousands of dollars to spend.   :D
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

rcallicotte

Am I wrong to assume nobody here has used both?

Will

I have xsi, I like it I've tried modo but haven't bought it. I liked both I just found xsi more intuitive coming from  more traditional package background. modo I liked, it rendered fast and had nice features but the interface just wasn't for me. I know that don't really help but at least its a reply.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

rcallicotte

Thanks, Will.  It actually does help.  When I saw someone doing some work in XSI, the first thing I noticed was how intuitive its tree structure was and it seemed pretty solid overall.  The biggest problem I have right now is that I can be working in Modo and it just zip out.  No obvious reason and I'm not (usually) doing anything difficult or heavy

JimB

Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

rcallicotte

@JimB - This is very helpful.  It looks like what I know is correct about the big picture, the more I read.  XSI has proven itself overall, while Modo is still an okay app. 

glen5700

I will give my vote for XSI, I have tried the Modo demo and have no doubts it's a great program but a little un-intuitive. If you like the node interface in TG2 you will love the render tree ( http://www.3ddigitalgraphics.com/xsi/vein_phong.jpg tile shader that I made). There is no problem with modeling in another package and bringing geometry into XSI (I'm so hooked on Rhino!) - http://www.3ddigitalgraphics.com/xsi/grand_staircase/grand_staircase.htm

The Foundation package is an incredible tool to have in ones 3D arsenal, and you also get to render with Mental Ray.

HTH,
Glen

rcallicotte

Thanks Glen.  The intuitive nature of the shader tree in XSI is inviting.  And I do like the idea that I could model something in Silo or do some work in zBrush and then easily move anything from either of these two packages into XSI.