Code lines are bad gardeners

Started by AndyWelder, May 17, 2008, 06:41:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyWelder

I'd like to file a complaint on the Terragen Garden Technics Department here.
Where I paid a lot of attention to detail while carefully plotting my "little garden with a great view" your code-lines turned it into what looks like a rush job. By Jove, you can still see the leaves swirling around where they chopped off a complete tree top in the upper right part!! If I wanted to have that mountain top in plain view I would have arranged lightning's ash trees differently, for sure!
For some reason your code-lines also chopped away part of a tree right of the center and I suspect they also removed part of the shrubbery  on the center far left.
Also, on the grassy slope that I wanted to appear lush and natural I do detect traces of the use of a lawn mower. I admit, one has to look carefully but still...

This isn't the first time I encounter sloppy gardening from your new crew; they did the same thing with the xFrog's firs on another occasion.

I expect nothing more than that these problems will be solved with the arrival of a new crew of code-lines in the hopefully near future, till then I'll have to render my gardens with my fingers crossed, not a comfy thing while carrying on with my daily business.

"Ik rotzooi maar wat aan" Karel Appel

JimB

The one consistent factor with all of these messed up tree and plant renders is that the solid geometries (trunk, branches, twigs, etc) seem to render fine. However, the parts that have been transparency mapped (leaves and needles) mess up, as if the transparency mask texture is dropping out, or some such, for those affected tiles.

Have you tried seeing what happens if you unplug the transparency mask and render a solid geometry for the leaves/needles? It might give a better clue as to what's going on.

If anyone's pointed this out before, or if I'm stating the bleedin' obvious, my apologies  ;)
Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

AndyWelder

Quoteunplug the transparency mask and render a solid geometry for the leaves/needles?
Haven't tried that 'cause I have no clue what you're talking about, me tupid. Nah, not very but seriously now: Are you talking of going to the internals of the plant's TGO > leaf shader? There I can find no reference to transparancy, only translucency (image) and opacity (image).

JimB

That would be the opacity image. It may even be the translucency image, so I'd try both.

I suspect the problem lies in a render tile not picking up either the texture map for opacity image. I dunno, but Okkam's Razor suggests it to me.
Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

AndyWelder

Thank you; I have an utter respect for razors and other sharp knives so I'll try that.

Oshyan

We haven't been able to duplicate these problems with in-house testing but it's clearly a real problem several people are having. It is likely to be memory related and may be solved by the most recent changes we have been making to the renderer. Hopefully the next release will solve them, but if not we'll ensure that this is addressed before the final release at the least.

- Oshyan