Has anyone tested TG2 on vista??

Started by edlo, January 18, 2007, 10:30:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Fire

Quote from: edlo on January 19, 2007, 02:15:13 PM
Quote from: buchvecny on January 18, 2007, 04:04:32 PM
lol yeah... i dont actually get people who bought Vista so early. It doesnt make sense, all hackers are waiting for the same moment.

Nobody has bought vista already since its not out yet ;)
It has been out for several months for some people - just not the majority the general public.

3DGuy

You're right. It's part of MSDN, so if you're a subscriber you already have it :)

Dark Penguin

I don't have a MSDN subscription, but I have a friend who is cool....   8)

Oshyan

TG2 doesn't use OpenGL for any accelerated rendering of the scene so it only uses basic functions for display, essentially. That's why it doesn't use more OpenGL features nor would doing so likely be useful unless we attempted to accelerate scene rendering with it. However given TG2's heavy reliance on complex displacement and the sophisticated atmosphere and cloud shading system it's unlikely that a GL-accelerated viewport will be possible any time soon, certainly not without a tremendous amount of work.

- Oshyan

Cyber-Angel

Quote from: JavaJones on January 21, 2007, 10:09:50 PM
TG2 doesn't use OpenGL for any accelerated rendering of the scene so it only uses basic functions for display, essentially. That's why it doesn't use more OpenGL features nor would doing so likely be useful unless we attempted to accelerate scene rendering with it. However given TG2's heavy reliance on complex displacement and the sophisticated atmosphere and cloud shading system it's unlikely that a GL-accelerated viewport will be possible any time soon, certainly not without a tremendous amount of work.

- Oshyan

That been the case then it sounds to me that a partnership deal needs to be negotiated between Planetside Software and SGI who as you know are responsible with Open-Gl and with such a partnership I am sure that the technical hurdles with time could be over come.

Such things happen ever year in our industry as they do with any other, after all a problem sheared among many, is a problem twice as soon resolved; that's the way I look at it any way.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel

Oshyan

SGI went bankrupt last year. Probably not the best partner. ;) But regardless of the partner, translating TG2's sophisticated and proprietary internal algorithms to something that can be accelerated by OpenGL is no small task. And what would this "partner" ask in return?

It's easy to suggest such an arrangement but far more difficult to find the right partner, negotiate the deal, and actually get it to happen. You're welcome to send any interested parties our way though. ;)

- Oshyan

Cyber-Angel

It's true that indeed that SGI went bankrupt last year, but since then I do believe they have come back with a new finance structure (October, 2006) after convincing its bank that it could turn a profit, that's the information I have any way.

In any case some one in the community with access to the Open-GL API could do it, maybe, but that would be only possible if Terragen where to go open source (Unlikely) or perhaps it could happen once the SDK comes out providing the necessary hooks are in place in the SDK to those algorithms.

Any way that's my two cents on the issue.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel    ;D

Oshyan

It's not likely that the SDK would provide that level of access and TG going open source is even less likely. ;) In the end the value of Terragen is largely in its proprietary rendering engine and specific realizations of otherwise common techniques and systems. To expose the inner workings of those systems would essentially remove any competitive advantage we have.

We will certainly be looking at the feasibility of different realtime visualization systems, including what can be done with OpenGL accelerated functions. We will implement such solutions if they make sense and we have the development time and resources to do so. This may include working with outside partners or contractors, but that would only be pursued after an evaluation of feasibility.

- Oshyan

Will

Wow I log off for a day and look where the thread goes with out me... Anyway how did the olde Terragen get all its plug-ins? Was the a SDK for that?

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

rcallicotte

In case anyone care about what Gabe Newell from Valve says about Vista -

GI: What's your opinion of the Xbox 360?

Newell: Microsoft has so many problems with Vista; I wish they were focusing more on the thing that runs on hundreds of millions of PCs rather than six million proprietary clients. Vista really shows a lack of focus on making a better consumer platform. I came out of the Windows group, and right now, I'd go with a Macintosh as being a better solution for most consumers than a Vista-based PC. It's shocking to me. If you're an XP user, you're going to be more comfortable upgrading to an Apple than Vista.

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

edlo

Quote from: Dark Fire on January 20, 2007, 04:14:48 PM
lol yeah... i dont actually get people who bought Vista so early. It doesnt make sense, all hackers are waiting for the same moment.

It has been out for several months for some people - just not the majority the general public.

"Release Candidate"  its for testing, not a released product, and certainly you cant BUY it

Dark Fire

Quote from: edlo on January 22, 2007, 09:37:07 AM

"Release Candidate"  its for testing, not a released product, and certainly you cant BUY it
No. Microsoft 'finished' Vista a few months before the end of 2006. I'm not sure who is meant to have it yet, but rest assured that some people are using the final version now...

edlo

Quote from: Dark Fire on January 22, 2007, 12:26:23 PM

No. Microsoft 'finished' Vista a few months before the end of 2006. I'm not sure who is meant to have it yet, but rest assured that some people are using the final version now...

Yeah certainly insiders and corporate partners as TG2 have been on the hands of a select group for quite a while, he is talking about buying so we are discussing public release; not a few unknown people. Actually the concern was Vista being open to hacking.

Dark Fire

Quote from: edlo on January 22, 2007, 01:28:53 PM
Quote from: Dark Fire on January 22, 2007, 12:26:23 PM

Yeah certainly insiders and corporate partners as TG2 have been on the hands of a select group for quite a while, he is talking about buying so we are discussing public release; not a few unknown people. Actually the concern was Vista being open to hacking.
I'm sure those people who already have it paid Microsoft a lot more than what most people will pay. Also, as long as Microsoft products are used by a large number of people they will much more vunerable to hacking compared to other products. Where there are people to be exploited, hackers will always find a way to exploit them - no security system is 100% secure (otherwise everybody would be using it).