Water Render times

Started by gradient, January 13, 2007, 06:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gradient

Ok...bringing this thread back on topic.....
Let's see some HQ water renders from you guys...I want you to feel the pain...LOL!

Dark Fire

Quote from: gradient on January 21, 2007, 04:37:11 PM
Ok...bringing this thread back on topic.....
OK...back to water... :(

Quote from: gradient on January 21, 2007, 04:37:11 PM
Let's see some HQ water renders from you guys...I want you to feel the pain...LOL!
Quote from: buzzzzz on January 21, 2007, 04:16:30 PM
Hot Water Springs! Great Idea for a Render! Thanks you two!  ;)
I think some steaming pools of hot water in Iceland would take painfully long enough to render...

Dark Fire

Quote from: 3DGuy on January 21, 2007, 11:55:35 AM
...It's not different parts of the proc that get activated.
Sorry for bringing this up again, but these days it is different parts of the processor that are powered up and down: 'It consumes 62 watts, and the cores can power on and off independently, making it more energy efficient.'

Anyway, back to water. I was right about the steaming pools - they took ages to render. Interestingly, the water in this picture didn't take too long to render, despite the fiddling with settings I did to make it as reflective as possible...

3DGuy

It's not parts of the processor.. it's the seperate cores that can be turned on/off. Each core is a CPU. Albeit that that all the cores are placed on one chip. Dual Core or Quad Core just means it's 2 or 4 processors on a chip ;)

Dark Fire

Quote from: 3DGuy on February 13, 2007, 08:10:01 AM
It's not parts of the processor.. it's the seperate cores that can be turned on/off. Each core is a CPU. Albeit that that all the cores are placed on one chip. Dual Core or Quad Core just means it's 2 or 4 processors on a chip ;)
I think we'll eventually get to the stage where we call multiple cores on a single chip 'a CPU' - especially if the processor in that article becomes common (80 cores!). A multiple-core CPU is generally treated as a single CPU for licencing purposes (as far as I am aware)...

Anyway...Stop dragging this thread off-topic!

Back to water...Has anybody else got any good water renders?

buzzzzz

Quote from: Dark Fire on February 13, 2007, 10:31:06 AM
I think we'll eventually get to the stage where we call multiple cores on a single chip 'a CPU' - especially if the processor in that article becomes common (80 cores!). A multiple-core CPU is generally treated as a single CPU for licencing purposes (as far as I am aware)...

Can we talk about "Water Cooled" Quad-Core CPU's?  *Pulling Dark Fires leg* LOL
Hell I can't even get water to render. Sorry

Dark Fire

Quote from: buzzzzz on February 13, 2007, 12:05:06 PM
Hehe...Very clever...That could actually be on-topic as the topic title is quite ambiguous. "Water Render times" could quite easily expand to 'Render times with a water-cooled CPU'.

MeltingIce

I hope that 80-core processor doesn't go the way of the Cell processor.  I have trouble seeing how that could be efficient to make.  Think of how much this multiplies the chances for something to go wrong as well.  I understand the idea behind the chip was to make a very power efficient processor, but I would like to see how much power they can pack into it.

MeltingIce Network | Wii Number: 3881 9574 8304 0277

gradient

Quote from: buzzzzz on February 13, 2007, 12:05:06 PM
Quote from: Dark Fire on February 13, 2007, 10:31:06 AM

Hell I can't even get water to render. Sorry

So Jay...you can't get ANY water to render?

buzzzzz

No John, not since that first scene I posted with water. No mater what I do as soon as it gets to the water, Poof TG just leaves town. Hoping that the update will fix this from me and others??? I'm running 3 Ghz P4 and 3Gig of Ram so I don't know?  Everything else is fine.

king_tiger_666

maybe terragen needs to be reinstalled?

<a href="www.hobbies.nzaus.co.nz/">My  Terragen Downloads & Gallery</a>

buzzzzz

gradient

Yeah, that's weird Jay....Did my one and only water render on a crappy 2.2GHz with 512ram.  Took ages, but it did work.
Maybe a TG re-install might be the answer.....