Project Files

Started by EmDee1, January 16, 2007, 05:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EmDee1

I want to send someone a project file from some TG2 images. I thought I just could copy and send the tgd-files I saved on my computer, but in doing so the files seem to lack all kind of things: the mask shaders, LWO populations, etc. I must be doing something very wrong, but it's getting late already, a bit tired etc. ;) Maybe someone can help me?

oggyb

If you import image masks and objects etc. into your project they aren't combined with the project file because it's not a binary file and there's no real need for it anyway.  Instead they're linked to by the project file for inclusion by the program.

This means that when you send someone a project file you must also send them all the stuff that's been imported.  Preferably with the same folder structure, or alter that accordingly in your program.

[to other readers: I hope that's right, I'm not exactly an expert]

M.

Will

Yes oggyb your right.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

EmDee1

Okay, thanks guys! Some work to do for me then.
Greetings!

Oshyan

Currently it's recommended to have your textures, objects, terrains and other external files be in the same folder as your saved Project (.tgd) files for easy portability. If you do this then you can easily zip up all files and transfer to another computer with no pathing issues. If you instead use "deep" resource paths, for example C:\Documents and Settings\user\my documents\textures\texture.jpg then you will have difficulties loading the file on any other system with a different directory structure.

If you have an archiving program that supports saving paths you can use this function to make it work wherever you move it to, as long as you preserve paths on extract as well. But this will naturally create odd folder structures on the target computer, which is annoying.

We may create a "bundled" project file type that packs all resource files into a single file, but that won't be available for a while if so. Hence the initial recommendation above; although it's a bit annoying to have to copy textures and objects around, it's ultimately the most hassle-free approach at the moment.

- Oshyan

Dark Fire

Quote from: JavaJones on January 19, 2007, 08:00:28 PM
We may create a "bundled" project file type that packs all resource files into a single file, but that won't be available for a while if so. Hence the initial recommendation above; although it's a bit annoying to have to copy textures and objects around, it's ultimately the most hassle-free approach at the moment.
In my opinion, a button that saves everything into a single directory would be better than a "bundled" project file type. There is no real need to throw everything into one file, and having everything in one file would make it difficult to separate components back out again.

oggyb

I'd agree with darky here.  In Cubase I know that if I import a sound file into the pool it gets copied to an "audio" folder where I set my project file to reside.  When I move around I just copy the project and its audio folder and everything is dandy.

Having this in tg2 would be more useful I think than zipping everything in one file.

M.

Dark Fire

It is handy to have those raw recordings and imported audio separate in that folder in Cubase, especially if you want to give somebody source files so they can have a go at something, but do not want to give your work away. Bundling everything together in one file would make that impossible and it could also make defragmenting on devices with small amounts of memory difficult. Creating a single file also increases the problems if that file becomes corrupted - if the files are separate and one becomes corrupted, most of the files will still be OK. The same stuff applies to TG2 - bundling everything into a single file makes the data only slightly easier to transport, but it is not as useful as having separate files in a single folder.

Oshyan

Agreed. I was speaking more generally about a possible solution - the specifics haven't been decided yet, but all of these factors will certainly be considered.

- Oshyan