World Machine 2 Release Date Announced for July 4th!

Started by Orangebugpro, June 15, 2008, 02:33:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orangebugpro

Pardon me for yelling, but...
YYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:D ;D 8) ;D 8) ;D :D
http://world-machine.com/blog/?p=115

cyphyr

Great news ! :)
Any idea if this is a free upgrade for registered users or not ?
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Will

The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: cyphyr on June 15, 2008, 07:15:09 AM
Richard

Yes I was also wondering, I have registered v1.25... I don't expect a free upgrade but I'd like to see a reduced price. Let's sit and wait :)

Moose

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on June 15, 2008, 08:50:55 AM
Quote from: cyphyr on June 15, 2008, 07:15:09 AM
Richard

Yes I was also wondering, I have registered v1.25... I don't expect a free upgrade but I'd like to see a reduced price. Let's sit and wait :)

A day or so ago the WM2 preview page - http://www.world-machine.com/wm2/upgradetour.html - had price info (including that for upgrade discounts). I see this has now been edited. It now simply states that discounts will be available for registered users. From memory, I think it previously stated something like a 33% discount, so lets hope it's at least as good as that when announced.

Good news all the same. :)

latego

Previous upgrade discounts were really interesting but... the problem is that GeoControl 2 (the deadliest competitor to WM2) is almost on hold due to an accident which happened to its developer and therefore WM developer has currently no competition which quite likely means higher prices (just have a look at high def dvd battle: as soon as HDDVD caved in, BluRay prices skyrocketed).

Bye!!!

Oshyan

That would be a fairly realistic expectation for most publishers I suppose, but Stephen (WM developer) has never really seemed to operate that way. He gave WM away for free for a long time. When he finally started selling it, it was below the price of most other applications in the market (Leveller, for example), and he still made a free version available. In fact Geoncontrol has been more expensive than WM since its introduction as a commercial product, so if anything GC would have encouraged Stephen to *raise* prices to parity, or near-parity. Certainly there are price increases for WM2, due not only to the increase in features, but also no doubt (realistically) the falling value of the US dollar. But it's still a very reasonably priced product and I know Stephen always does his best to treat his customers - past, present, and future - well.

But aside from all that largely unimportant stuff, I must say I am very sorry to hear of the troubles Cajomi is having! I hope everything works out well.

- Oshyan

Quote from: latego on June 15, 2008, 05:50:39 PM
Previous upgrade discounts were really interesting but... the problem is that GeoControl 2 (the deadliest competitor to WM2) is almost on hold due to an accident which happened to its developer and therefore WM developer has currently no competition which quite likely means higher prices (just have a look at high def dvd battle: as soon as HDDVD caved in, BluRay prices skyrocketed).

Bye!!!

Seth

Xpleet

The problem with WM1 was that the free version was limited to 512x512 terrains which is ridiculous in my eyes, not really a testable version.

I am very excited to see what you can do with WM2.

Let's see if WM2 can reproduce the nice Thin Flow effects TG2 has yet uniquely produced.

Also, since WM2 can export as full 3d Meshes, wouldn't that make it possible to create in-wards going Terrains?

latego

Quote from: Xpleet on June 16, 2008, 10:47:33 AM
The problem with WM1 was that the free version was limited to 512x512 terrains which is ridiculous in my eyes, not really a testable version.

Do you expect a time unlimited fully functional demo of a commercial app to work at a usable scale? The other alternative is to have a time limited demo, which is something I really hate (they ALWAYS time out before I could really try them).

Xpleet

Quote from: latego on June 16, 2008, 02:38:59 PM
Quote from: Xpleet on June 16, 2008, 10:47:33 AM

Do you expect a time unlimited fully functional demo of a commercial app to work at a usable scale? The other alternative is to have a time limited demo, which is something I really hate (they ALWAYS time out before I could really try them).

Is it about seriously testing the product on it's quality and usefulness, or having a half quality product for unlimited time?

In a way you're right because in some cases ppl easily exploit the time function.

Oshyan

I never found the 513 limit to be all that bad, personally. Especially with the power of procedurals in TG2, it's easy to get a nice base shape with WM and then accentuate it in TG2. GC's approach is also valid - I believe it is a time-limited version, but without limitations on output size (correct me if I'm wrong). Personally I prefer WM's approach though since it can serve more casual users indefinitely, and these are people who probably won't buy anyway, but might produce something cool and provide some publicity for the product. Just my 2 cents though. ;D

- Oshyan

neuspadrin

Yeh i prefer unlimited trials with slight gimp in them to the timed trials that let you do more.  Usually if I want to try it i really want to know it well before purchasing it.  And I don't mind having slightly lower quality then some paid edition.  Thats why I like both WM and Terragen ;).  I ended up purchasing Terragen, and once WM2 is out, I might end up buying it. 

With timed trials it almost always goes like this:
1.  Go ooooh I want that program.
2.  See its nice timed trial.
3.  Download timed trial.
4.  Install timed trial.
5.  Play 10 minutes in it then suddenly have something come up.
6.  Busy for the next few weeks...
7.  Come back to a dead trial, not fulfilled in any way.

What would be the best is if a company offered both... A timed trial and a gimped unlimited trial.  This would allow people to really test the full capabilities quickly if they needed to find something to buy for commercial use, or others could download the more time but slightly gimped version for personal hobby.  Thing I like about Terragen and WM is they are still within decent price tags so even though I just do it as an occasional hobby, I can afford the actual versions...

And if you like the program besides the fact that it gimps your output to lower resolution... maybe you should just save up and buy the program.  you already know you like it except with nice of a terrain you can get.  Even gimped versions are enough to see that you like the work flow of the program and the output is decent.  512 is fine for me for free.

latego

Quote from: neuspadrin on June 19, 2008, 08:45:53 AM
1.  Go ooooh I want that program.
2.  See its nice timed trial.
3.  Download timed trial.
4.  Install timed trial.
5.  Play 10 minutes in it then suddenly have something come up.
6.  Busy for the next few weeks...
7.  Come back to a dead trial, not fulfilled in any way.

Could not have stated it better! B.t.w., another positive example is L3DT: the free version works up to 2048x2048 (which is usually more than enough for renders) and at the same time the developer has a wonderfully open attitude with users, with public (and frequently updated) todo list and development status.

Bye!!!

Moose

Countdown thread - http://forum.world-machine.com/index.php?topic=908.0

Woo Hoo  :)

EDIT:- And new WM2 site - http://www.world-machine.com/index2.html

Mega Woo Hoo  ;D ;D