Example usage of TG grass clumps

Started by ZStar, June 24, 2008, 07:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZStar

Here is a .tgd file with my example of long field grass.  This is a straight implementation of TG grass clumps in three populations – short, medium and long.   You may need to reassign the Grass01_color.png and Grass01_alpha.png files to the color and opacity image fields of the Grass clump long default shader.   The Invert opacity image option needs to be selected on the opacity tab.

The individual clumps are fairly small ~ 0.2-0.7m diameters.  If you are trying to cover a large area you may want to increase those sizes, the clump spacings, and the blade counts.

I'm sure you can find better third party grass objects out there but if you don't need to see details on individual blades, this does a pretty good job.

old_blaggard

Ooh, this looks quite good.  Nice implementation!
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

monks

Mandrake

I thought .png files did not work with tg2?

That's very nice grass.

lightning

ZStar

Thanks folks, I appreciate the positive feedback. 

Lightning, you have produced many beautiful trees, bushes, and grasses so your comment means a lot to this TG rookie.   :)

Mandrake, I guess I didn't have the sense not to try .png's.  They worked.     :D

Mandrake

guess it was just the opacity's alpha channel

lightning

Quote from: ZStar on June 25, 2008, 07:18:51 PM
Thanks folks, I appreciate the positive feedback. 

Lightning, you have produced many beautiful trees, bushes, and grasses so your comment means a lot to this TG rookie.   :)

Mandrake, I guess I didn't have the sense not to try .png's.  They worked.     :D

thnx mate whats the render times like?

ZStar

Lightning, I'm not sure how to answer that.  There are so many variables, image resolution, render quality settings, coverage, etc...

I ran a couple of tests using a cropped strip from my "Worth the Climb" shared image.  For this specific test, the TG grass only added about 5% to the render time.  For the whole "Worth the Climb" image, the grass probably doesn't add more than 1% to the total render time but it certainly looks better than green shaded ground.  I should also say that the grass populations have been restricted to the foreground area and do not extend to the grassy areas in the distance.