Errors after installing new update, what have I done wrong!

Started by reck, June 30, 2008, 03:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reck

Hi,

Just updated to the latest build but when I tried to run it I get the following errors. I'm running Vista 32 bit.
I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling but it didn't fix the problem.

Oshyan

Did you completely uninstall the previous version before installing the new one? This is a strongly recommended part of the upgrade process.

- Oshyan

reck

I went into add/remove programs (or whatever its called under vista) and selected uninstall. Then I checked the program Files\terragen 2 folder and the only file left was my key file. I deleted the key file and folder and then rebooted the computer. Then tried to install again and i've got the same error :(

I'm going to try and download again in case the download is corrupted.

Oshyan

Very strange. We have done a lot of install/uninstall testing on various operating systems and I've never seen problems like this. We've tested on Vista, too. A corrupted download is a possibility, although it should have let you know of any corruption prior to the installation. Is it possible you're using an old shortcut? Do you have any backup programs in place that might be interfering? Do let us know if you come up with a solution.

- Oshyan

reck

Hi Oshyan,

Yes it is strange. I've installed all the updates since the very first preview on this machine and never had any problems.

I'm just test testing different things at the moment trying to get it to work. I've re-downloaded the update but that didn't work. I've tried to install it on another account on this machine, that didn't work. I've uninstalled, removed the TG2 folder and removed any shortcuts and then reinstalled, this didn't work either. After reinstalling I tried running the .exe directly from the TG2 folder but still no joy.

I'm struggling to think what else I can try. Any other ideas?

Oshyan

The errors seem to indicate a mismatch between the TG2 exe and dependency DLL files. I'm not sure exactly why that would happen, but one thought that occurs is that Vista has a built-in system files protection system that might somehow be coming into play. Since there are DLL's involved, it might think it has to protect and replace them if they get changed.

Have you tried installing as Administrator? Or "Run as administrator" on the install file?

- Oshyan

reck

Yeah i've tried running under an admin account. After it installs I try and run it but nothing happens, I double click the file and no error or anything. But when I install under my normal account I get all those error messages.

Most of the error messages talk about trlib.dll so it seems the problem might be with this file. I've just tried to register this dll using regsvr32 but I get an error message even doing this. Could this be the reason that Terragen is now not working?

Matt

I think your trlib.dll is probably OK. The functions in these errors no longer exist in those forms, so this suggests that it's another file that is looking for the wrong functions.

Can you check the version numbers for each of the following files? (Right click -> Properties -> "Version" tab)

trlib.dll
tglib.dll
Plugins/tgbase.tgp
Plugins/tgstd.tgp

They should all say File version: 1.9.98.1

Please also check Plugins/tgimg.tgp. It doesn't have a version number but the file size for 1.9.98.1 should be 700,416 bytes (about 684 Kb)

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Matt

Also, have you set up an environment variable for Terragen? That will fool Terragen into looking somewhere else, so you should remove the environment variable or update it.

Matt

reck

I've just uninstalled again and then did a search for "terragen" and "planetside". I found quite a few files and folders under virtualstore as well as a couple of other folders under my users folder. So I went through and deleted every instance of terragen and planetside I could find. I then opened regedit and did the same thing.

Now I get no error messages at all when I try and run it, in fact nothing happens at all, I just double click the shortcut of the .exe in the terragen 2 folder and nothing happens, no message or anything. Since clearing out the computer of all references i've reinstalled a couple of times but it just won't run.

Matt here are the details. I couldn't see any version numbers for any of the files in the plugins folder so I just recorded their sizes. The two dll files were 1.9.98.1.

trlib.dll - 1.9.98.1
tglib.dll - 1.9.98.1
Plugins/tgbase.tgp - 324kb
Plugins/tgstd.tgp - 5.27MB
Plugins/tgimg.tgp - 684kb

Also I just my env variables and there doesn't appear to be any variables for Terragen, I certainly didn't create any.

This is all very strange.

Oshyan

The Virtualstore entries suggest that Vista is caching the dll files and may be referring to older cache versions instead of the newly installed ones. You might try turning off System Restore, doing an uninstall, then reinstalling, and finally turning system restore back on. I don't know if there is a way to turn off the caching functions or exclude a particular directory or dll. The odd thing is I haven't encountered this on my Vista install and I am installing/uninstalling on a regular basis. It's possible however that I have turned something off (such as User Account Control - UAC) that is a factor in this issue.

- Oshyan

Matt

Quote from: reck on June 30, 2008, 06:53:59 PM
Matt here are the details. I couldn't see any version numbers for any of the files in the plugins folder so I just recorded their sizes. The two dll files were 1.9.98.1.

On XP you can find this information if you right click on the file, select Properties from the menu and then go to the Version tab, and I would think there's something similar on Vista. Detailed file sizes in bytes are also available. Nevertheless, the file sizes appear to be correct.

Matt

Matt

Quote from: Oshyan on June 30, 2008, 07:12:07 PM
The Virtualstore entries suggest that Vista is caching the dll files and may be referring to older cache versions instead of the newly installed ones. You might try turning off System Restore, doing an uninstall, then reinstalling, and finally turning system restore back on. I don't know if there is a way to turn off the caching functions or exclude a particular directory or dll. The odd thing is I haven't encountered this on my Vista install and I am installing/uninstalling on a regular basis. It's possible however that I have turned something off (such as User Account Control - UAC) that is a factor in this issue.

- Oshyan

What kind of OS does this? How are developers/users supposed to deal with this nonsense?

Matt

rcallicotte

Vista was Microsoft's best attempt to ruin their retail stronghold.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Oshyan

Normally the dll cache isn't supposed to cause such problems of course. This would be an abnormal circumstance and like any system those will occur. It's not necessarily a bad idea to cache files - it's supposed to improve performance of course - but it's true that it's not terribly transparent for troubleshooting purposes should a problem come up. Admittedly my knowledge of the caching systems is limited, and this would be the first I'd heard of it caching one of our DLL's, but nonetheless it does seem to be doing so and possibly the source of the problem.

- Oshyan