Blender

Started by Yoda Almighty, July 03, 2008, 12:33:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoda Almighty

I am opening this topic as a discussion for blender or any other 3D program you use, be it with Terragen or for separate projects, and also just to get to know my fellow BlenderHeads. ;D

I originally started off with Wings3D, but the program was limited at best, so when I got a new computer, I switched over to using Blender, and have been using it ever since. (it's been about 4 years now) mostly I specialize in Spaceship, and other Sci-fi related material. Recently, I have been working a lot with the Blender Game Engine, and I am currently making a small, simple game to help me learn it more in depth.

what about you?

all music instruments are ridiculously expensive to repair, with the possible exception of the triangle.

Terry Pratchet, Masqurade

moodflow

I think Blender is a great tool (being free and open source)...but I have yet to really learn to use it due to being overwhelmed!
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

Seth

just start to learn... i only did a crappy lightsaber ^^
very difficult software but very complete one... i really would like to have 48 hours days so i could learn it :)

Yoda Almighty

Quote from: seth93 on July 03, 2008, 04:24:29 PM
very difficult software but very complete one... i really would like to have 48 hours days so i could learn it :)

lol.

are you on the blender artists forum? I remember somone making a lightsaber there...
all music instruments are ridiculously expensive to repair, with the possible exception of the triangle.

nvseal

I've loaded Blender onto my computer but never really got into it; I used the Maya Personal Learning Edition instead and recently purchased Maya Unlimited 2008 at a student discount. The last model I was working on was a Venator Class Star Destroyer from Episode 3. Sadly, there is no way convert Maya PLE files into the real Maya format so I had to quit on it in the late stages of development.  :'( I'm going to have to rebuild it.

matrix2003

I agree with Seth.  I got a pretty decent planet out of it after much fiddling, but I need lots more time to get a handle on this one!
-MATRIX2003-      ·DHV·  ....·´¯`*

reck

There's no doubt about it, you have to put a lot of time into Blender to get the most out of it. I think it's the interface that puts so many people off. But once you start to figure out how it all works it can be a lot of fun and very powerful. Since the last blender movie was released the software has become even more powerful with all the features used in the movie being integrated into the latest version of Blender.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Blender 2.50 because there are some changes going in there that will benefit the UI.

Also whenever I talk about Blender I always give a plug to Blender Underground ( http://blenderunderground.com/) because Apollos video tutorials helped me more than anything in understanding how this software works, highly recommended.

Yoda Almighty

indeed. Blender is an extremely powerful tool for those who have the time and inclination to learn it. Mostly, I specialize in spaceships, like this one, which  made a couple weeks ago.

I call it the Daemon. the ring is the Hyperdrive,which opens out whenever the ship is going to enter hyperspace, like this:

it folds up so it can land.

and that is an excellent ship, nvseal. I really, really like it.  ;D

Seth

Quote from: Yoda Almighty on July 03, 2008, 05:35:27 PM

lol.

are you on the blender artists forum? I remember somone making a lightsaber there...

no i am not ^^
my crappy one is here : http://www.rendus3d.com/data/505/sabrelasertest.jpg

Yoda Almighty

thats actually really good! (better than the one at blender Artists  ;))

Costaud

Quote from: seth93 on July 04, 2008, 01:38:05 PM
Quote from: Yoda Almighty on July 03, 2008, 05:35:27 PM

lol.

no i am not ^^
my crappy one is here : http://www.rendus3d.com/data/505/sabrelasertest.jpg
Yes I remember that one Seth HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.......HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Seth

mouahahaha Costaud !!!
Yoda is soooo nice with nice with me :)
hey ! can you imagine a lightsaber on a blender forum even more shit lookin' than mine !!! lol... poor guy...
ok Costaud ! bring your best blender render nooooow ! ;D

lightning

if you have got abit of spare money you should try silo!
http://www.nevercenter.com/

its an awesome modeling program cheap only 160 bux!! and its very easy to use ;D
there is a 30 day trial for both pc and mac you should try it!

Seth

yeah but Blender is FREE !

Tangled-Universe

hmmmm...I should really consider trying to get me started with modeling sometime.
I just have the idea it is really complicated, but ok...that was also my first impression of TG2 :)

Lightning, what's so easy about Silo (compared to Blender)?
Blender works really slow on my pc, strange :(