Some renders

Started by JimB, December 30, 2006, 05:45:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimB

Finally got signed up here, so here are some efforts with TG2tp:

This one has very few octaves on the steeper rock surface:
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i311/tarbicus/mountainous_03.jpg?t=11674226

This has the cloud Acceleration Cache turned off, which I find seems important to avoid 'voxel' blocks in the clouds when close to the camera. They therefore went a bit blobby so I just turned up the Octaves in the Pattern of the fractal. It also has Inverted Profile switched on.
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i311/tarbicus/mountainous_03_HQ4.jpg?t=1167

Mist/fog, which is a cumulus cloud layer at very low level, and using a Perlin function.
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i311/tarbicus/mountainous_03_foggy.jpg?t=11

This one I'm very pleased with, when it comes to the clouds:
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i311/tarbicus/white_clouds_puffy4_trees.jpg?t=1167518410
Edge Sharpness is 0.0048
Cloud Density is 30
Roughness is 3.125
Coverage Gamma is 0.6
You need to play around with the other settings to taste. Render time was 19.5 hours, at 1600 pixels wide, with lots of settings high to see what happened.

Cheers,
Jim.

Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

glen5700

Jim,
These are really nice, the high settings and long render times are worth it.

Glen

JohnnyBoy

RealUser

Markus / RealUser
visit my Renderosity Gallery at
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?username=RealUser

JimB

Thanks guys.

Just a note to say that it was late last night (tired), and I forgot that the last image with the puffy clouds had cloud quality settings of only 0.5

I think it's the Acceleration Cache, and high quality tress, that made the render time so long. Worth it, though.
Some bits and bobs
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Aerny

Wow, that last one really looked like a picture of Marburg (in the south of germany)

cheers,

Arnold

TangoSmoker

Fantastic Pics. The render time show over 19 hours. What are the system specs? Just for curiosities sake.

crazymonkey

nice man, some really solid renders there :)

littlecannon

Nice renders Jim, lovely textures. Keep em comin'
I just need to tweak that texture a bit more...

Mindscape

JimB

Thanks everyone, much appreciated.

Quote from: TangoSmoker on January 01, 2007, 04:41:42 PM
Fantastic Pics. The render time show over 19 hours. What are the system specs? Just for curiosities sake.

Dual Xeon 3.06 GHz
3.25 GB RAM
Win XP-Pro

That render time only applies to the last one with white puffy clouds. The others were less than a couple of hours.

Here's another that was posted elsewhere for tech support if you're interested.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i311/tarbicus/big_clouds_01_terrain_trees.jpg
Some bits and bobs

MichaelT

Looks fantastic, however this is a share your terragen file area if you know what I mean ;)

ProjectX

I love the atmosphere of the render, only a couple of things I'd've changed:

1. break up the snow line, it's a straight edge, put a bit of fractal breakup on

2. Shrink the trees - this scene has the look of something epic to it, and massive, and the trees are really too big for it, also put in more to compensate for the reduced size, but make sure to put a fractal into the density of the population, and maybe some tonal variations too.

3. Clouds are great, but the atmosphere could do with some more samples, that's what's causing that grainy look to it.

As far as I can see the image is perfect other than that, great work.

JimB

Quote from: ProjectX on January 12, 2007, 03:59:43 PM
I love the atmosphere of the render, only a couple of things I'd've changed:

1. break up the snow line, it's a straight edge, put a bit of fractal breakup on

Actually, that's a bug in TG2. There is no snowline, but the clouds are interfering with the hilltops and causing a bright artefact. I originally put it all in the Support forum.  ;)

Quote2. Shrink the trees - this scene has the look of something epic to it, and massive, and the trees are really too big for it, also put in more to compensate for the reduced size, but make sure to put a fractal into the density of the population, and maybe some tonal variations too.

3. Clouds are great, but the atmosphere could do with some more samples, that's what's causing that grainy look to it.

As far as I can see the image is perfect other than that, great work.

Thanks for the compliment. It's actually not finished , but a test render, which was when I noticed the "snow caps'" cloud bug.

Quote from: MichaelT on January 11, 2007, 08:18:45 PM
Looks fantastic, however this is a share your terragen file area if you know what I mean ;)

Here you go (Replace the tree Object file with your own!!!! My file path will be different to yours!!!)
Try raising the altitude of the clouds to get rid of the false snow caps.

If you do anything nice with this .tgd, please post it here so we may all learn and benefit. Thanks.
Some bits and bobs

monks

Stunning work JimB- I caught this a while back on the Yahoo list and loved it. BIG THANKS too for sharing the TGD.

monks