Encouraging Cloud Capabilities (with images)

Started by moodflow, January 23, 2007, 04:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moodflow

I spent a few hours running some more tests and was able to come up with some clouds that look quite realistic.  This program has been out only a month, and we are already doing stuff like this.  Imagine what it will be like in a year!

This program already blows Vue and Mojo out of the water (they are still both incredibly capable programs, but can't touch TG2 at this point).

Here are some preliminary results.  I pretty much set it up like I did on the 'fake stones shader is the money' post, but with clouds instead of shaders.

These are low quality (ie. 0.2), but only took about 10 mins to render at 640x480.

More tests to follow!

http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

Will

I do like the Metaclouds that Vue 6 has though.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

moodflow

Quote from: Will on January 23, 2007, 04:23:26 PM
I do like the Metaclouds that Vue 6 has though.

Regards,

Will

Yea don't get me wrong, thats the reason I bought VUE, and I might still use it as needed.  I did manage to put together a huge cumulonimbus style sunset cloud formation with it...but it still wasn't as meaty as these clouds.
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

Volker Harun

The only thing I miss at the moment is adjusting the clouds' shadow-strength on surfaces - for reducing GI-rendertimes ,-)

@moodflow: As mentioned before, your testing is very much appreciated.

Volker

§ardine

Quote from: moodflow on January 23, 2007, 04:17:38 PM
I pretty much set it up like I did on the 'fake stones shader is the money' post, but with clouds instead of shaders.

so if I understand you right you right you are...

Quote from: moodflow on December 29, 2006, 06:40:57 PM
...using 7 levels of fake stones on top of one another, with the sizes increasing and density decreasing as the layers increase.
(except substitute "clouds" for "fake stones") ???

lol maybe what I should be asking is "could you post a .tgd for us please?"
Also I will echo what Voulge said above -thanks for the testing!

BPauba

Yeah, after I get done with my terrain studies I want to go into atmosphere studies, and hopefully will be creating some epic cloudscapes :D