Watchmen

Started by rcallicotte, July 18, 2008, 12:55:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

old_blaggard

Looking forward to it!
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Will

I never read the comics but I know they won some awards. What are they about?
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

rcallicotte

@Will - The Watchmen   ;D

Sorry.  I could only tell you it looks like government conspiracy type stuff from picking it up at the bookstore.  This isn't a fair assessment, I'm sure.

crazycoder

Looks like it will be worth seeing.

rcallicotte

@crazycoder - Yes.  I agree.  It's on my schedule.   ;D

old_blaggard

I'm looking forward to it.  From what I can gather from my group of comic-addicted friends, the Watchmen were retired superheroes who watched over the city, and then came out of retirement when a lot of murders began happening.  It sounded like a pretty dark comic series, and it looks like a pretty intense movie.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

inkydigit

the 'graphic novel' was brilliant...I shall be watching out for this!!

mr-miley

The greatest graphic novel ever created, even better than V for Vendetta... even better than Love and Rockets (if thats possible). If you have never read it I would urge you to beg, borrow or steal a copy from somewhere, once you start reading it it'll suck you in completely. Storytelling (of any sort, graphic or otherwise) taken to the ultimate level.

Must admit, I thought they had shelved this project, glad to see it back on. Mind you I have my doubts... most comics / graphic novels that I have seen filmed are usually ruined by not being able to stick to the story. I mean, how hard can it be for a film maker.... the storyboard is already done for you, and in a lot better quality than any storyboarder could do it! And still they manage to ruin the films by straying from the story  >:(

OB, you're spot on, though so is calico. I'm not going to say any more, cause it would spoil the end for anyone who has not read it  ;D It is VERRY dark, then it is Alan Moore so what do you expect  ;)

Miles
I love the smell of caffine in the morning

rcallicotte

Thanks Miles.  I expect a lot from this one.  "300" is one of the most interesting stories; I'm not sure it could have been messed up, though...it's so incredible in real life.

Ogre

Great stuff.  I can't wait. Loved the Graphic Novel.  I also heard they are NOT doing the Comic within the comic "Black Freighter" as part of the Watchmen but will be releasing seperately as part of the marketing campaign.

Another great Graphic Novel is the Dark Knight - A retired Batman comes out of retirement
"If you find me feeding daisies
please turn my face up to the sky and leave me be watching the moon roll by.
What ever I was it was all because I've been on the town washing the BS down."

-Gordon Lightfoot

rcallicotte

Is the Dark Knight what the movie was supposed to built on?

Ogre

No.  I believe the official Title is the Dark Knight Returns.  Here is a wiki link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman:_The_Dark_Knight_Returns

The plot is somewaht similar to the Watchmen. All super heros are retired (Some forced into it) Batman comes out of retirement and the sparks fly from there.

An excerpt from the Wiki

"Batman: The Dark Knight Returns is set twenty years into an alternate future. In the absence of superheroes, ordinary criminals run amok (all the super-villains having been incarcerated or otherwise killed), and a gang called the "Mutants" made up of schoolchildren terrorize Gotham City. Batman has been retired from crime fighting for ten years following the death of Jason Todd, the second Robin. Wayne funds the rehabilitation of Harvey Dent ("Two-Face"), leading to his release from a mental hospital, but upon re-entering society, Dent returns to crime. Wayne dons the Batman costume again and apprehends Dent, but in an increasingly media obsessed society, the populace debates publicly whether Batman is a savior or a menace."

"If you find me feeding daisies
please turn my face up to the sky and leave me be watching the moon roll by.
What ever I was it was all because I've been on the town washing the BS down."

-Gordon Lightfoot

rcallicotte

Batman can never get a break.

Thanks for the info, Ogre.

Arandil

I read the Watchmen almost 20 years ago and it floored me, fantastic story.  The trailer looks very promising, at least it can't be worse than the Hulk ..  either of them ... ::)

I'll be all over this one when it comes out.   ;D