Wet/Shiny Textures

Started by mesocyclone, July 19, 2008, 12:57:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mesocyclone

hi everybody!

I was just trying to get reflections in snow and other wet textures...
I tried using reflective shader and the luminosity in the surface layers... but I don't know if is that the right manner.

can you help me and show the correct way (or ways) for doing this?

thanks!

lightning

you can always use a default shader then in the specular tab set it to around 1 or below (not zero)
that gives you a shiny look :)

Matt

Using the Reflective Shader is good. I would usually disable the ray-traced reflections option in that shader to make it render more quickly. Diffuse reflections from the environment will still be rendered, as long as the Enviro Light is enabled and the GI settings in the renderer have not been set to 0.

The reflectivity options in the Default Shader act similarly to a Reflective Shader with ray-traced reflections disabled, but the Default Shader won't allow any colours to show through from other shaders that come before it in a chain of shaders (because it has its own colour, luminosity etc.)

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

JimB

A tip for the snow as seen in this image: http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l469/jimbowers/mare_cumulus_8bit.jpg?t=1216472342

Reflection shader as a child layer of the snow surface layer. High reflection and specular value, and lots of roughness to the reflection to completely blur the reflection.

Compare to this earlier version: http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i311/tarbicus/high_mountains_02c_8bit.jpg?t=1216472510
Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

rcallicotte

@Oshyan or Matt - How does this work with the Default Shader's color function, luminosity function, etc.?  Can these not bring in shader attributes from previous nodes? 

Quote from: Matt on July 19, 2008, 08:17:06 AM
...but the Default Shader won't allow any colours to show through from other shaders that come before it in a chain of shaders (because it has its own colour, luminosity etc.)

Matt

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Matt

The Default Shader, as do many other shaders, gives the surface colour. To mix with other shaders you need to use something like the Merge Shader, or make it a child of the a Surface Layer that has some constraints on its distribution, or attach it as a surface shader to some other shader that only applies in certain places (e.g. the Fake Stones Shader).

The reflection shader acts as a reflective coating, so existing colour will show through.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

mesocyclone

ok, thanks a lot guys!  ;D

(any more ideas?)

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?