trouble with camera/render

Started by datey, January 23, 2007, 10:23:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

datey

hi guys..my problem is that when u aim the camera in a certain part of ur terrain..i always still get the whole landscape rendered...i do  hit the set button for camera....in TG1 when u aimed the camera at certain of terrain thats what was rendered..but in TG2...im not getting that..for example...i made a planet (big)..then added a smaller planet...then what i did was have camera aimed right at big planet...and when rendered showed the little planet still which was behind the camera...what am i doing wrong...?
also when u do start up TG2 and u see a box lines on terrain what is the purpose of this...i know u can move it..but what is it for please...?
ive looked but couldnt find anything about it...
thank you all
kim ???

Jane

Had the same camera/view/render problem too.  And I did hit Set Camera.  Could there be another reason that this happens once in a while?  Or is it that I just *thought* I hit Set Camera.
Thanks,
Jane

Will

Hey datey could you pst the .tgd so we could take a look? Also the lines your talking about around the terrain are for the heightfield which is consitered an individual object.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

§ardine

Quote from: Jane on January 23, 2007, 12:35:28 PM
Or is it that I just *thought* I hit Set Camera.

;)
Personally I've never had the camera not take my new coordinates.
I assume that when you say that you are hitting the set button for camera, datey, that you are doing so after you get your position set in the preview window?

Also, to expand on what Will said: if you look in the upper left you will see a "Heightfield shader 01" click on the + to expand and then select the "Heightfield generate 01" You will see new options appear below. Click the "Generate Now" at the bottom, and you will have a new terrain filling the line box.

If you haven't already I suggest reading the tutorials in this tread:
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=110.0
They are extremely helpful  8)

datey

just to say thank you guys for your help...god knows i need it...i do hit the set button after i move the camera....i get myself in routine of doing things so dont forget to do important stuff..same as i do in TG1...i have trouble explaining myself...i know what im saying just nobody else does...lol...but in preview u see the whole world...even after moving the camera and zooming etc...it still renders what i see before moving the camera..its like the camera is for nothing ..has no effect at all..im not sure if its me or what...i also need to get more ram..so atm only do little things cos it crashes on me alot...also i have times when i can bring terrain files into TG2..then other times it just crashes right away...sorta hit n miss....im hoping to get right into it when i get my much needed ram...only have 212MB atm...but wont be till march..so bring it on...lol
thank you one and all
datey
(kim)

§ardine

Quote from: datey on January 23, 2007, 08:29:55 PM
...but in preview u see the whole world...even after moving the camera and zooming etc...it still renders what i see before moving the camera..its like the camera is for nothing ..has no effect at all...

OK I think I follow what you are saying  :)
Are you setting your camera coordinates in the xyz boxes under the camera properties, or moving the camera using the red green blue arrows you can see in the preview window? If either of these are the case try clicking the "view camera" button instead of "set camera."

also are you adding a new camera to your scene or using the one that is there already?

Quote from: datey on January 23, 2007, 08:29:55 PM
...only have 212MB atm...

Wow that's an odd number (and I'm too tired to do the math right now) :)
Anyway I hear you about the amount - I'm using 256 on my windows machine with 1Ghz.
Now if only that Linux port comes soon....

datey

thanks  Sardine..that is what im doing...so if i change the xyz it would turn out better..and yes i hit the set button too as well as the view camera button..ill have a play around and see what happens doing it dif'....as for my ram its something like that as soon as i saw the 2// i just made up number..as knew it was low anyway...
thanks everybody
kim
(datey)