Gears of war

Started by lightning, July 10, 2008, 02:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightning

I got Gears of war the other day for my pc it a really amazing game i have put everything on maximum graphics and it just looks sooooo real :o
does anyone else like it?

Inscrutable

Haven't tried that one - I'm absolutely hooked on Mass Effect for the PC, which I bought at the weekend (only out 4 weeks and reduced from £35 to £20 due to a dispute between EA and Game!).

Truly fantastic game, the conversations are just amazingly cinematic and the "filmography" (not really the right word if it's all graphics) is just brilliant throughout.

Inscrutable

lightning

thats the same with gears of war when you are running the camera shakes all over the place its almost like you are there!!!

Will

I've played Gears on the xbox360, it was fun. I've played through mass effect a few time but its been so unstable I'm waiting for a patch which never seems to come.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: lightning on July 10, 2008, 02:36:12 AM
I got Gears of war the other day for my pc it a really amazing game i have put everything on maximum graphics and it just looks sooooo real :o

What specs do you need for playing at these settings?
I have a 8600GTS 512MB, quadcore and 8GB RAM.

Will

I have an 8800gts 512 and four gigs (only three and a half are accessible by xp) and a Pentium D, I was able to run crysis on high and mass effect at max.

lightning

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on July 10, 2008, 07:07:06 AM
Quote from: lightning on July 10, 2008, 02:36:12 AM

What specs do you need for playing at these settings?
I have a 8600GTS 512MB, quadcore and 8GB RAM.
here is the minimum

Windows Vista or Windows XP
Processor 2.4+ GHz Intel; 2.0+ Ghz AMD
RAM 1 GB
Hard Drive 12 GB free hard drive space
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce 6600+, ATI X700+
Online Multi-player: Online Multiplayer – Games for Windows – LIVE Silver Membership (included)

lightning

when you put it on max graphics its supposedly way more detailed than on xbox 360
my freind got a has a big collection of bootlegs he is giving me a copy of call of duty 4 is that any good?

Will

I like it, the single players short but good and the multiplayer is great.

EBAndrew

Yeah, I got Gears PC when I got my new rig a couple weeks back. At max (in DX10, which apparently only adds AA) at 1680x1050 it definitly looks better than the 360 version (textures and such), though I noticed the effects were a little toned-down. The motion blur when you roadie run around doesn't extend as far from the edges of the screen, and the fog effects seemed more transparent. But had I played it on the PC first (and if I was a dedicated PC gamer) I'd probably have preferred the PC version over the 360 one.

And yeah, COD4 is AMAZING. I paid very little attention to the series before it (post COD1, they were all the same WW2 shooter, only prettier than the last) so maybe the gameplay is still pretty much the same, but I thought the gameplay was very well rounded, it wasn't too difficult or too easy on the setting it assigned me (based on a short level before the game 'starts'), it looked pretty good... and it had my favorite level out of all the games I've ever played in my life: I won't ruin it for you, only to say that it's pretty close to the beginning, and you're in an airplane.

Never did any of the multiplayer though.
-Andrew

rcallicotte

I agree about COD4.  Worth the money.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

lightning

I am about halfway through COD4 its a really great game!
i also just started assassins creed that kinda cool as well i am getting a copy of lost planet and bioshock what are they like?

rcallicotte

The demo of Bioshock was strange, but sorta cool.  Haven't played Lost Planet or Assassin's Creed?  What is Assassin's Creed like?  Fun, cool, interesting?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

EBAndrew

Bioshock - and I'm saying this from not paying any attention to the hype that built up to it, or what little there was - is one of the greatest games I have ever played, across all platforms and genres. Not because of the gameplay, but the story, and how it slowly drags you in and makes you think... well, to say anything would really ruin it for you.

Suffice to say that there was a point in the game where I actually started thinking about what was happening to the PC as though it had happened to me. A few minutes later I caught myself, put down the controller, and realized what I had just been doing. I knew, then, that this is what everyone means when they call games 'art.'

Which is a definition I'm sure the industry will gain, now that Ebert and Roper aren't around to lead their sheep into thinking otherwise.
-Andrew

lightning

assassins creed i have only just finished training the controls seem very complex i am using it on a computer though the graphics though are pretty amazing!