Renders that stop, don't stop and don't start.

Started by duff, July 03, 2008, 01:25:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

duff

Since installing the TP4 I am experiencing various rendering issues which appear unrelated to tgd I am using.

I experience renders that simply stop at some point during the rendering process - no errors, timer stops counting up, it thinks it is rendering i.e. the options are still stop and pause on the render window, but CPU is 0%. I also experience renders that do not start, the timer counts up but nothing happens, this is always resolved by a save and restart and always appears after a number of renders have already been done. Finally I see renders that do not stop! That is it never thinks it has finished despite looking complete. This has the same symptoms as the render that simply stops - so could be special case that it is at the end when it stops.

I was getting the mem errors all the time on TP3 so didn't use it too much, so I don't know if this is new or not. I couldn't see any obviously related posts although this one sounds similar -> http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=4261.0 but was deemed fixed in TP4

Matt

Can you tell me a bit more about your computer? What OS are you using and how much RAM do you have? How many cores does TG detect on startup? How high is the system's page-file usage when Terragen stops rendering (PF Usage under the Performance tab of the Windows Task Manager)?

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

duff

I have the following setup:
Windows XP SP2
Intel Core 2 Duo (E8200 2.66) -> TG only detects on core on start up, I have upped this to 2 manually.
2 GB RAM (Corsair DDR2-800)-> When experiencing these problems I initially checked RAM usage, but found TG to be using about 900MB with about 400MB of physical memory still available and no significant swap file usage. I.e. PF was well below what is available.
I have a Gigabyte Mobo (PC35C-DS3R)
NVidia GPU (8800GT)
Everything is on stock clocking and well cooled.

Let me know if you need any more info....

Oshyan

Duff, can you retest on the recently released Technology Preview 5?

Thanks,

Oshyan

duff

I haven't had much time to do much since TP5 came out, but so far I haven't seen a repeat of this.

Oshyan

Thanks for following-up. Please post again in this thread if you see the same issue.

- Oshyan