Williamsburg, Virginia WIP

Started by gregsandor, July 26, 2008, 04:32:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gregsandor

Here's a shot of the Bruton Parish Church at Williamsburg.

Setting up shaders now -- just got the brick sidewalk to match the building.  Now on to wood siding and fixing those 5-sided polys in the steeple.

The polys are fixed; products of bevelling -- they put triangles at the window corners in the steeple.

Now for the roof.

At some point this morning I have to rebuild the churchyard wall.  It was a thing of beauty, but I overwrote it after deleting the archive version... 

neuspadrin

looks good (having seen it many times in real life)...

though i dont see why youd ever want to model williamsburg... maybe it just cause i grew up n live there, and so school trips always consisted of

(every year of elementary school)
Teacher: "hey kids we are going on a field trip!"
Kids: "YAYYY"
Teacher: "To colonial williamsburg!!!"
Kids: "....."

course there was like the one time we got to go to jamestown, and the other time we went to yorktown... but they wern't much better...

plus growing up in a tourist town ive grown to dislike them, and so going places with all the tourists annoys me.. as its near impossible to find parking in williamsburg unless you pay during the summer, its always crowded, and people around there don't know how to drive.

so maybe my personal opinion of williamsburg is a bit skewed ;)

rcallicotte

I like this perspective.  Reminds me of an old movie...need a few more buildings, though.   :D
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

neuspadrin

once he adds the wall in it will look more correct.  theres a personish high wall that goes next to it and the path.  curved on the top kinda wall thing....  theres not too many buildings up close near it, but there are a few in the distance...

to give idea of wall to others: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3166/2612471732_009e347606.jpg?v=0

Mr_Lamppost

Looks good so far.

Quote from: neuspadrin on July 26, 2008, 08:14:00 AM
looks good (having seen it many times in real life)...

though i dont see why youd ever want to model williamsburg... maybe it just cause i grew up n live there, and so school trips always consisted of

(every year of elementary school)
Teacher: "hey kids we are going on a field trip!"
Kids: "YAYYY"
Teacher: "To colonial williamsburg!!!"
Kids: "....."

course there was like the one time we got to go to jamestown, and the other time we went to yorktown... but they wern't much better...

plus growing up in a tourist town ive grown to dislike them, and so going places with all the tourists annoys me.. as its near impossible to find parking in williamsburg unless you pay during the summer, its always crowded, and people around there don't know how to drive.

so maybe my personal opinion of williamsburg is a bit skewed ;)

I grew up in a London suburb with most of the cool places being right in the central tourist area; NIGHTMARE. 

Now I live in Glasgow and despite the best efforts of the council it remains busy but relatively tourist free.  Edinburgh is something completely different, it's swamped.  Wall to wall tacky crap, I'm no Scottish and it makes me cringe. 
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

gregsandor

Here's the new wall and gate.

cyphyr

This is looking very interesting, I'm looking forward to see how you progress it, particularly how you treat the middle to distant buildings. My only suggestion for now (and I'm sure you've not settled on any camera details yet) would be to make the cameras field of view smaller, maybe horizontal 40deg. This will stop the extreme foreshortening and distorted perspective at the outer edges of your image.
Keep rendering
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

N810

I know what you mean neuspadrin I too am from that general area.  :D
Hmmm... wonder what this button does....

gregsandor

Anyone know why TG stopped rendering the wall?  It does this repeatedly; I haven't been able to intentionaly reproduce it but it seems certain camera angles will not permit rendering the full object.

gregsandor

Quote from: cyphyr on July 27, 2008, 01:18:41 PM
This is looking very interesting, I'm looking forward to see how you progress it, particularly how you treat the middle to distant buildings. My only suggestion for now (and I'm sure you've not settled on any camera details yet) would be to make the cameras field of view smaller, maybe horizontal 40deg. This will stop the extreme foreshortening and distorted perspective at the outer edges of your image.
Keep rendering
Richard

The base model is a 10m dem of the region, and for each site I'm handpainting displacement maps.  Bruton Parish Church, Public Records Office, St. George Tucker House, and Prentis Store sites are built.  I plan to use a lower poly set of buildings in populations for the background buildings.  Will probably chop up parts of these finished models to make some of the background elements.

This is a view toward the church from the Prentis Store.  The materials for all of these are the same so where shaders overlap they can share; for this store the paint is to be red not the pale green of the church, so I'll modify that shader to fit.  This afternoon I started the picket fence too.

neuspadrin

any reason why you are recreating williamsburg?

just outa curiousity.

gregsandor

Update:

rcallicotte

Interesting work.  Was this for someone else or your own personal project?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

gregsandor

gregsandor

I spent the week in Williamsburg taking photographs for high-res textures and am now making meter-square seamless tiles from them.  Updated renders soon!